Greetings from a shed in Essex, England

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Justin Fozzard

Greetings from a shed in Essex, England

Post by Justin Fozzard »

Hello, I’m Justin Fozzard, an electronics engineer from Essex, England.

I’ve been fascinated by plasma physics since my early teens when I spotted a faulty neon sign in a shop window. A very thin glowing filament was writhing about inside a letter O and I wondered what was causing it. As luck would have it a few days later I found a book in our school library about nuclear fusion and it had a picture of a toroidal pinch discharge very similar to the glow in the neon sign. I was hooked!

Before that I had built several small Tesla Coils, voltage multipliers and Marx generators and was trying to build an electron microscope. I got as far as building a crude diffusion pump for the vacuum system and a shunt stabilised 30kV power supply for the electron gun when I realised that fusion was a much more interesting pursuit.
After leaving school, my rather varied career has involved explosives, flash x-rays, studying theoretical physics at university, high voltage power supplies, high power microwaves, particle accelerators, free electron physics and lots of electronics.

I’ve been following the Fusor Forum for several years now and greatly enjoy reading the posts and FAQs and hope to try building a fusor soon. I find the work of many of the contributors very impressive, but I would like to thank Richard Hull in particular for his pragmatic and thorough postings. I also hope that Doug Coulter gets some good results with his new setup; his recent huge neutron burst is very intriguing and hopefully reproducible.

My ambition is to work alongside the team of engineers that produce the first sustainable power generating and economically viable fusion device, but I’m not expecting that to happen any time soon.

Regards,
Justin Fozzard
ian_krase

Re: Greetings from a shed in Essex, England

Post by ian_krase »

Greetings. I hope you will show us your DIY diffpump.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”