Carl Willis

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.

Carl Willis

Post by guest »

Hello!

Back in '93 or so, when I visited his lab as a seventh-grader, Richard Hull fired his then-most-recent Tesla magnifier. Needless to say, I left the lab impressed- twelve foot arcs are certainly impressive- but I was even more astounded to note the quality of science that a motivated amateur can pursue with his own space and funds.

I have been fairly active in high-voltage physics ever since. I have done a lot with vacuum-tube Tesla coils, in many sizes and configurations, attempting to learn how to make them efficient and easy to design and control. I built a railgun based on a pulse capacitor recently; I've done various small RF and high voltage projects. Pyrotechnics, PIG ion sources, and acoustic resonance spectroscopy are some other areas in which I have experience.

My fusor effort is the most recent project I am working on. Parts, power supply, deuterium, neutron counter, and vacuum system are all assembled / procured; what remains is some machining and a better software DAQ system to interface the neutron counter. I hope to first look at the effect of different cathode grids and grid diameters on neutron output, but there's a lot I ultimately want to do with this most interesting particle accelerator. This project is partly funded by Guilford College, where I am majoring in physics and chemistry.

Thanks to The Perfesser for running this invaluable discussion site!

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”