Hello

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Cade_M_Duke

Hello

Post by Cade_M_Duke »

My name is Cade Duke and I am 13 year old in the United States. My interests lie in Calculus, Nuclear physics, applied physics, aerodynamics, programming,electrical and mechanical engineering, and competitive gaming. I am currently working on a fusion reactor using deuterium but am unable to get the materials I need. I saw this website when looking for a way to get deuterium legally, which my father has to purchase due to me being a minor but I am still able to get the money for it. I also am having issues making a chamber for the reactor as I moved recently and I cannot find any of the tools needed to cut some of the metal. I hope I can get some tips and learn some new things here and make some new friends.
Dennis P Brown

Re: Hello

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Hello and welcome. Many people buy deuterated water (heavy water) which is easy to obtain and using electrolysis, create deuterium gas (which must then be put through a dryer - D2 with D2O is useless.) As for a chamber, a successful fusor was made using a simple vacuum four-way connector (I believe about 1.5 inch tube diameter.) This no machine work at all type of "chamber" then readily allows a pumping port, a place for an electrode, a window, and vacuum port for gauges/deuterium inlet. They achieved fusion with a power supply of about 20 kV - 25kV.

One can get these components at very good prices on ebay and special companies that handle these vacuum components.

You've said nothing about your vacuum system nor gauges.

Aside:while it is theoretically "possible" to buy a lecture bottle of deuterium gas; generally, this isn't possible for most. It requires convincing the gas supply company and that isn't easy - it is an explosive danger.

I created a "commercial account" and succeed but that isn't an easy process, either. If a local gas supplier is in your area they might agree to special order you a tank.

Do realize that the D2 is only one minor (but important) part of a fusor system. The power supply is very difficult for many to obtain (and is extremely lethal so learning high voltage safety is critical.)

Detecting neutrons is a very complex task unless one just buys a turnkey system or a bubble dosimeter (special order and a only six month window for its use.)

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”