Hello from Iowa City and the Home of the Hawkeyes

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Roger VanDerHorst

Hello from Iowa City and the Home of the Hawkeyes

Post by Roger VanDerHorst »

I am Roger and I am going to be helping my grandson, Harrison, build a fusor system.
I would like to get as much information as I can on what type of x-ray generator he will need to do this.
I work for an x-ray company and we throw these away all the time.
So here is my offer
if you can provide me with some help on what we will need and some help along the way I would be willing to give any young person with a need for an HV tank the opportunity to have one for free, as long as they are willing to pay for shipping or come pick it up.
I have done some research on this device and I believe that some great things come from young minds; this is where the future of our world lies, and I believe that promoting young great minds is our one legacy we can leave our children for the future.
Richard Hull

Re: Hello from Iowa City and the Home of the Hawkeyes

Post by Richard Hull »

Welcome! A nice offer on the X-ray tank. I hope someone takes you up on it.

I got my 2 old tube based units, (kenotron bridge rectification), through a local X-ray distributor/repair facility. They put them out back and said if they disappeared, it was OK with them.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Tom McCarthy

Post by Tom McCarthy »

Welcome to the forum Roger.

The Fusor needs a continuous DC voltage. It has to be negative hot. Bare minimum power for operation is about 300W. That's 30kV at 10mA. More is better, say 40kV at 15mA. Some Fusors get away with less power, while others have gone far above that. The x-ray transformers used are typically heavy, old units that are suited to continuous supply. 120kV centre-tapped supplies are ideal, as they can give negative 60kV.

You should find the following FAQs helpful, they give some more detail. The first outlines the type of X-ray transformer that a Fusor needs, the second one gives an example of additional circuitry needed to set up the transformer for Fusor operation.

http://fusor.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8972
http://fusor.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4406

You can also see an exemplary x-ray transformer setup here - http://www.rtftechnologies.org/physics/ ... former.htm

See the linked spread sheet for examples of voltage and current usage (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/ ... sp=sharing).

Jon Rosenstiel holds the record on the forum here for highest-power Fusor. He's gone to 80kV @ 20mA, or 1600W.

I'd love to take you up on your offer. I'm based in Ireland, and am 17 years old. I've been looking for a HV supply for a while now. Just to clarify - Is it a transformer that you're offering, rather than an enclosure/tank? If you have any more questions, feel free to private message me, or start a topic in the more appropriate "High Voltage" or "New User Chat" sections on the forum.

Tom
Harrison Gieselman

Post by Harrison Gieselman »

I'm not sure when he'll be back on this forum, but based on what he was telling me, I believe he's talking about an X-Ray transformer. He said the ones he would be able to get have a voltage of 150 kV across the secondary and supply around 30-40 mA max. They also should still have a working rectifier. I can't confirm this, so you'd have to talk to him, but I thought I'd tell you what I know.
Tom McCarthy

Post by Tom McCarthy »

Sure thing, that sounds great. Thanks for letting me know.

Tom

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”