Hello from Indiana

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
BrendanBogan

Hello from Indiana

Post by BrendanBogan »

Hello all,

I originally stumbled upon this site circa 2007 back when I was in middle school. I'm now towards the end of my time at college and I'd like to spend more time dabbling with fusion.

I have a entrepreneurial mindset, and I think I've got what it takes to both make products that can be sold in the short term, and help move along the progress in the fusion space.

I'd love to get to know this community, and some day be a well known participant myself.

Cheers!
Dennis P Brown

Re: Hello from Indiana

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Welcome; while fusion could use a lot of help, fusors aren't going to be part of any future energy solution (except as a huge energy consumer.)
BrendanBogan

Re: Hello from Indiana

Post by BrendanBogan »

Agreed.

Though, maybe the Polywell has some life left in it. I'm not really attached to any particular design, other than I know for sure that NIF and ITER aren't the answer.

To me, it seems like fusion (like any other advance in hardware) struggles from not being able to setup new ideas/experiments fast enough, and at a low enough cost. There's a handful of people doing things at silly scale/funding, and a handful of people spending their beer money on turbo pumps, but not a whole lot in the middle.

For any new idea to be successul, Facebook's mantra "move fast and break things", or John Maxwell's "fail early, fail often, fail forward" seems to be the only path to take.

This is where I see space in the market. A company that can produce products that serve the clean energy market today, while spending profits on its own fusion research. Some examples would be products based on exotic Carbon structures (graphene, carbon nano-tubes, etc), cheaper/more usable vacuum chambers, advancements in high temp superconductors, or some other thing that's a lot "easier" than hitting fusion on the nose.

I'm just getting started, but one way or another I'm going to help

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”