Introduction

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
ChrisSmolinski

Introduction

Post by ChrisSmolinski »

I've been lurking around here for a few months now, and thought I would register and introduce myself. My main interests at present are dealing with radiation detection, although getting involved with fusors certainly sounds interesting down the road as well.

I've worked as an engineer for the last 14 years for two nuclear thickness gauge companies, four if you count the name changes the first went through ;-) having fun playing with and designing various isotope and x-ray sources, detectors, and so on. Thickness gauges basically measure the attenuation of a beam of radiation through a material to measure how thick it is (though there are other techniques we use as well, such as backscatter and fluorescence).

My primary interests now are designing and building various radiation detectors. I have some simple GM tube units that I sell on the side, which plug into a PC USB or serial port for datalogging, as well. I'd like to try my hands at building an MCA system next, having been able to use some in the past. I was most impressed with the Amtek units I played with, they had x-ray resolution of around 200 eV, very cool to be able to fluoresce a piece of stainless and not only see the Fe, Cr, Ni, etc lines, but separate the Ka and Kb as well!

Re: Introduction

Post by guest »

Welcome to the fusor group.
Yes we have gobs ( a lot of) of data.
Our newbie section is not so low level as to be boring.
I would use it first.
Secondly would be the "Songs"
And thirdly would be the Intranet postings
This group has covered a lot of ground since it started in 1997. We are on our third web site.
Oh yeah... check out the Ligon Analog Article
We are still in the research stage.
Engineering stage is a while away.
But you Already knew that!
As a Service to all fusion people we have the following
article:
It is in the The Fusion Powered Future

2002-04-16 15:07 On to every parade a little rain must fall. (Richard Hull) [Latest: 2002-04-19 14:50] (6)

Larry Leins (3L)
Physics Teacher

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”