Hello from Tokyo, Japan

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Daniel Knapp

Hello from Tokyo, Japan

Post by Daniel Knapp »

I'm 17, currently a high school student in Japan working on a 400kV Cockcroft-Walton electrostatic accelerator mainly for protons.

Physics is definitely the path I'd like to take in the future. I'm a medalist in this year's Japanese national physics Olympiad, so I consider myself fairly competent in terms of the theoretical side of things. On the other hand, I have little experience building or designing anything, so I'll be needing to feed off of this forum in that respect.

I realize that linear accelerators are not what this forum is for, but my goal is pretty similar to building a fusor, the main challenge being the vacuum system.

I'm looking forward to contribute here and hope that it'll be a productive experience.
ian_krase

Re: Hello from Tokyo, Japan

Post by ian_krase »

Welcome!

You may want to check out viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10791&hilit=rapp+instruments, a drop accelerator that does fusion pretty successfully.

Personally, I suspect that beam on target drop accelerators may actually be a better thing to build than fusors since they apparently can work with much lower currents. However, I am a very long way from being able to test this.

You won't be the first van-de-graff accelerator person here!

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”