Salutations from Washington State, U.S.A.!

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Leonardo Chen

Salutations from Washington State, U.S.A.!

Post by Leonardo Chen »

Hello everybody, I am a twelve-year-old boy who loves science and engineering. I am currently building a demonstation fusor which I hope to amp up to an actual fusing fusor afterwards.
JoeBallantyne

Re: Salutations from Washington State, U.S.A.!

Post by JoeBallantyne »

Welcome Leonardo! Where do you live in Washington?
JoeBallantyne

Re: Salutations from Washington State, U.S.A.!

Post by JoeBallantyne »

Seems like you deleted the post where you said where you were from (was it Oroville?) and asked me what I was doing on fusor.net.

My response is that I am here doing what I hope you will do also, which is primarily learning, and on rare occasions adding my 2 cents to the conversation.

I have managed to accumulate pretty much everything needed to build a fusor. (Some things - like vacuum chambers - many times over.)

Looks like I will also be able to retire sometime in the next year or so, so hopefully either this year or early next year, I will put together V1. Once retired I plan to focus exclusively on building and testing various ideas I have had related to fusors.

IMO, the only thing that really matters is the Q. And there are many orders of magnitude of improvement required. (Like 8 or 9 for a typical fusor.)

So that will be my focus. Improving the Q, with an ultimate goal of Q > 1.

No one else has managed to get there (except for the hydrogen bomb folks, but we're not trying to make anything that explodes), so realistically I won't get to Q > 1 either, but I'm still going to try.

I want to be that lucky donkey that Richard keeps talking about. :-)

Although I will say, that luck will probably not have much to do with the success of whoever it is that gets to Q > 1. More like lots and lots of work, and many outstandingly good ideas. I also think the successful effort will likely also end up being relatively inexpensive. The 1-100 billion dollar boondoggles will not likely cross the Q > 1 finish line first.

Joe.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”