Hello from California

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
SamuelEssig

Hello from California

Post by SamuelEssig »

Hello, my name is Samuel Essig. I'm 17, and currently going to high school in the SF Bay Area. A few years ago I learned about fusors from Make Magazine, and last summer my dad and I started to actually build one. We finished it "successfully", and we achieved plasma, but we have don't have any proof that fusion is actually happening. We hoping to get ahold of or make a detector and try again with some deuterium, if we can. I hope to learn more about the physics of how this works.

Here's a picture of the fusor in action.
Attachments
DSC07561.jpg
DSC07547.jpg
Tom McCarthy

Re: Hello from California

Post by Tom McCarthy »

Samuel,

Welcome to the forum, that’s a nice plasma.

You may find it helpful to read up on the FAQs in the forum. There is a link to the FAQs located at the top of each sub forum - eg go into Fusor Construction and Operation and you’ll find FAQs things the top.

Also, the Fusor detailed in the Make magazine is actually what we call here a demo Fusor. The nomenclature is a bit strange, as a demo Fusor doesn’t actually do any fusion. Instead, it produces an air plasma, which is visually similar to actual fusion. It doesn’t actually demo fusion. Read the FAQs and the differences are explained, along with the additional equipment needed to transition to a fusing, full Fusor.

Best of luck with your project.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”