Hello from Virginia

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Ben_Minnix

Hello from Virginia

Post by Ben_Minnix »

Hello everyone! My name is Ben Minnix. I am just a regular ol' high school chemistry nerd. I am technically not in high school though, I take college classes that count both toward my high school diploma and my college degree. Anyway, usually I stick to regular chemistry, however, in the last year or so I have had a newfound interest in radiochemistry. With this, I began to look into things like geiger counters and stuff, then I found that the elements all had different istopes, many of which were radioactive. Consequently, I began looking up if it was possible to create some of these ever so interesting isotopes. I decided that it was somewhat feasible and set of on my quest. It seemed that neutron irradiation was the most effective way to create radioactive isotopes and the legendary fusor was probably my best bet as far as neutron production (other than the magnox reactor). Anyway, if you got this far through my introduction without falling asleep, congratulations. I look forward to discussing various topics and hopefully getting to know some members on this forum.

-Ben
Richard Hull

Re: Hello from Virginia

Post by Richard Hull »

Welcome Ben, You are a fellow Virginian. I caught the rad bug back in 1957 and order radio-nuclides straight from Oak Ridge...you could do that then.
I hope you can find this site helpful. The fusor can activate a number of materials.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”