Hello from California

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Tyler Meagher

Hello from California

Post by Tyler Meagher »

Hi,

My name is Tyler. I live in San Diego. I am here to learn about fusion, and I am going to start by building a demo fusor. I like to build things and take apart stuff. I recently competed at the regional FIRST lego league robotics competition and really liked programming the robots. My dad has lots of equipment and tools in the shop. He is going to help me with the build. He gave me a vacuum pump to fix for my first project. I’ve just started reading the FAQs too.

Tyler
Rich Feldman

Re: Hello from California

Post by Rich Feldman »

Welcome, Tyler. Are you related to the Bruce Meagher at this forum?

Taking things apart is a great way to learn. Next step is to put them back together, without too many parts left over. :-) Not a detail to fret about, when the disassembly requires cutting or other destructive methods. I think everyone should take apart at least one small gas engine, and one electric motor.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
Tyler Meagher

Post by Tyler Meagher »

Yes he is my dad.

Last year I rebuilt my brothers old rusty bike. I removed everything except for the spokes. I sand blasted it, painted it, and put it all back together. Maybe I can convince my dad to let me have a mini-bike so I can rebuild an engine.
Bruce Meagher

Post by Bruce Meagher »

I’m excited Tyler is enthusiastic about running some physics experiments. Building a demo fusor will be a great opportunity not only to learn a little physics, but also enable him get his feet wet on the mill and potentially the lathe. Unfortunately in SoCal the kids don’t get many opportunities for vocational training in the public school system anymore. The wood shop and metal shop classes have mostly closed. There are options at the community college/college level, but it’s unfortunate the younger kids don’t get the exposure that was once widely available.

I’ve given Tyler an old, broken, rusty Pfeiffer Duo 1.5 vacuum pump to try to rebuild. It’s in pretty bad shape from the previous owner, but it’ll be a perfect pump for a fusor if he is able to revive it from the scrap bin.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”