Hello

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Cristiano_Machado

Hello

Post by Cristiano_Machado »

Hello,

My name is Cristiano Machado, I am from Brazil and I am "mentoring" my son in his experiments. He would like to build a fusor and some day achieve deuterium fusion, but his first step will be a smaller project. He will make the "Make Magazine project" by Dan Spangler (https://makezine.com/projects/make-36-b ... ear-fusor/).

I hope I can learn a lot with you and be a good tutor to my son.

Regards,

Cristiano
Dennis P Brown

Re: Hello

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Hello and best wishes; one point, don't get any mechanical vacuum gauges. They are useless for most fusor applications. If you get an ok vacuum pump, get a usable thermocouple or similar gauge - they are fairly cheap (when used.) This will help you prevent other issues as you construct a test system for creating a plasma. Likewise, if possible, try to get a real neon sign transformer rather than those cheap Chinese ones (again, used.)

Any fusor system is based on a decent vacuum system. That is the best place to start when constructing a "demo" fusor. Getting a two-stage mechanical pump and useable vacuum gauge is the core system in any fusor so it is useful to start a demo fusor project using at least those items. In that manner, it is easier to take the next step towards a real fusor.
Cristiano_Machado

Re: Hello

Post by Cristiano_Machado »

Hello Dennis,

Thank you for your recommendations. We will do this adjustment into the Make project. I have more questions, but I will post it in the New Chat area.

Thanks again,

Cristiano

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”