Hello everyone from Imperial College, London (UK)

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
alexcoglin

Hello everyone from Imperial College, London (UK)

Post by alexcoglin »

My name's Alex Coglin, currently studying at Imperial College for a Master's in theoretical physics.

I'm in a small team at college, looking to build a cylindrical fusor out of interest and for the challenge it presents. Only just discovered this site, so haven't previously posted - we're already part way through the project (have built a functioning power source at +/- 50kV). As a college-based team, we have access to strong vacuum pumps, deuterium, etc., but also have to toe the health and safety line very carefully, making this a slow project. Any tips in general, or ideas for how to make the fusor more interesting/efficient. For example, we're considering using carbon nanotubes for the inner cage to increase transparency?

Any feedback or direction is greatly appreciated!
NickBarsley

Re: Hello everyone from Imperial College, London (UK)

Post by NickBarsley »

Hi Alex
I'm also in London working on a fusor project (at home in West London).
I work near Kings Cross, if you fancy connecting at some point re: fusor projects do let me know, would be cool to know a local person also on the fusor journey!
All the best, Nick
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The transparency of the grid is not a sticking point as we now know very little fusion occurs within in the inner grid space but throughout the volume of the fusor and at the chamber walls. I remember well, the days of yore when it was all about grid transparency and the quest to increase its transparency. The grid, in what ever form, is a very necessary component in the amateur fusor.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Chris Giles

Post by Chris Giles »

Hi Nick & Alex,

I'm in London too. I could get anywhere central in the weekday evenings if you would like to meet up and discuss fusor stuff.

cheers
Chris
Ruiyan_Meng

Post by Ruiyan_Meng »

Hello Alex

I will be studying at Imperial College in October for undergraduate course in earth and planetary science.
But that is sad is it is pretty impossible to bring my fusor from China to London.
Maybe there is a chance that I will see you in the campus!

Cheers
Ruiyan
Albert Mery

Post by Albert Mery »

Hi Alex,

It's nice to see other Londoners embarking on the quest for fusion. I am actually doing a summer school at Imperial in June but you'll probably be off on holiday by then anyway.

Albert

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”