Hello World

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
CaveJohnson

Hello World

Post by CaveJohnson »

Hi!
As i am a Student interested in pretty much all sides of technology and science i usually roam around in many unseen parts of universities, research centers and scrapyards. So it happened, that over the time i apprehended more and more used and broken vacuum Parts. As i have many fields of interest i am able to refurbish and manufacture things ranging from electronics to mechanics in most fields imaginable. Since i want to put all the things to a purpose somehow i decided to get a farnsworth fusor together as one of the goals and by now i am relatively close to finishing it.

Sadly i am a bit disappointed by the fact that this forum is generally run with clear names. In todays world it is not a good idea to give your lives details to the world without being anonymous. Especially if, like me, you have most of your professional and family life in front of you in such an unpredictable future.
Im pretty sure there have been disgussions on this before, so i will not start one, but i have to take consequences and as my clear name is visible i will not provide any other information regarding my person such as age or country. Also very unfortunately that means that i am not able to show my many other hopefully interesting projects (jet engines, rocketry, electronics, general engineering...) on this forum or share much experience gained there, a link to my other internet appearances may be needed for it.

For this reason rather than presenting my self i will present some of my related gear for your impression:

Chamber one:
Pfeiffer TPU-240, bearing assembly was missing entirely, new parts were made, pump motor was rewound to a more modern 3 phase system and 20V. The Chamber was Made 100% from scratch, turned and milled CF 40, 63 and 100 flanges on a 200mm Stainless ball. Hot cathode gauge, dn63 window. Did not see much use yet Due to other parts coming in from the dumpster. When i finish the fusor the parts will be transferred on this chamber and left as a working unit.

Chamber two:
Varian TV-81M pump refurbished from totally broken bearings with home made ones running over a hundred hours already on a fkm sealed chamber. The chamber is made from aluminium, has six DN40 ports and a 200mm opening at the top which is closed by a glass desicator as a lid. The Strength of this aperatus is the ability to be opened while the turbo is running, so very fast access to the inside is possible. Pressures of 2e-6 were achieved in normal operation without much baking or long pumping. Mostly used for thermal vapor deposition, drying and testing of components before integration into the CF sealed chambers.

Chamber three:
Leybold TW290/20/20 cartridge pump with new machined casing. The intermediate Pressure ports were discarded for the sake of a good over all seal. This pump was the only one i bought since they are very affordable and have their inverter attached. This way i know the operating hours it has done in its life and have reason to believe that it will live for some 3 more years of continuous operation. The flange was chosen as ISO-K 100 since i have vibration isolators, valves and pipeworks for this format. Also this pump is my workhorse an will be swapped onto the large 50l chamber once it is finished. The chamber used at this time is a scrapped round chamber of about two liters with several different sizes of cf flanges, on one CF-63 i mounted a home made adapter to ISO63.
It has previously been used for a home made triode, generating x-raysand other similar basic experiments. Now it will be the test bed for my first fusion experiments and currently is fitted with:
-50kV Feedthrough
-63mm quarz window
-CF16 to KF-16 adapter (temporary for quick access)
-cf63 feedthrough with 6 bnc, 1 low leak coax and 12 ordinary feedthroughs
-cf40 anode layer ion source in the design of rf-technologies and sam zeloof wit attached mass flow controller
-Leybold Inficon Residual Gas analyzer (not working yet due to software issues)

Plasma has been achieved, though for proper conditions i will have to build a proper power supply, my current one is very good quality but not made for power applications (30kV 1mA laboratory supply)

I hope this compilation shows that i really am trying and not only talking. Of cause im open to questions and anything else interesting, the more relaxed the conversation the better in my opinion, since this here is hobby and fun, attacks and rude conversation belongs to other times in my opinion.

Cheers and thanks for reading ^^
Chamber three a while ago
Chamber three a while ago
Lukas Springer

Re: Hello World

Post by Lukas Springer »

Welcome to the forum, great to finally have you here!

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”