Hello fusioneers!

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Kevin Chesterfield

Hello fusioneers!

Post by Kevin Chesterfield »

Hi, I'm Kevin Chesterfield from the Midwest in Indiana. I've wanted to build a fusor since I was in college (Nuclear Engineering from Purdue) and now have some time (and money) to do so. I currently work as a software engineer, and have not directly participated in the nuclear industry or academics for a few years.

Where is the best resource to begin looking for parts? I have a rough plan of how I want to approach this project, but having issues finding reasonably priced parts. For example, I'm having problems finding a high voltage power supply ~50kv max. Any suggestions?
Last edited by Kevin Chesterfield on Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis P Brown

Re: Hello fusioneers!

Post by Dennis P Brown »

A good starting point is reading the forum here where stuff is for sale! A common place is searching ebay on a regular bases. But before buying anything first, read enough FAQ's so you both know what is needed and related parameters on the requirements that are unique to a fusor. Also, after that, do ask questions before buying a major item like a power supply - an error there can be very expensive waste of resources. Also read posts on chambers so you have a clear idea of both the type of fusor chamber you want - a small four-way course or the traditional sphere (and whether small or large) or even kluge together your own (depending on your shop skills.)

Which brings up your skill level in electronics and/or machine shop work. This matters if one wants to be as economical as possible. If not a skill area, turnkey is a possible course of action (and the most expensive.)

If you are serious about an operating fusor, one item that can be a real challenge to obtain is deuterium gas. That isn't an easy item to purchase - some have done this but more often than not, gas companies refuse. For some, using electrolysis of heavy water is a useful method. One needs to search posts on that subject.

As always, safety is critical since fusors present deadly hazards - electrocution and x-ray radiation are issues.
Kevin Chesterfield

Post by Kevin Chesterfield »

Thank you very much for the advice! I'm very early in my planning, and will be awhile before I start purchasing parts. Where would be best the place to ask for review before buying parts? I don't want to muck up forums with newbie questions.
Pascal Mueller

Post by Pascal Mueller »

I'm a newbie myself but: I'd start reading all FAQs and just get a feeling. You start to get to know the brands and what to look for. Read the "would you buy xyz" threads. While reading start using ebay and small ad sites and if you see something search the name of the pump here. Once you have kind of a feeling and a basic idea I'd start doing some planning.

A lot of people document their journey here in the forums and on their own bligs. Look for them. E.g. I like Andrew Seltzman's homepage: http://www.rtftechnologies.org/physics/ ... -index.htm

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”