Hello from Belgium

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
steven vr

Hello from Belgium

Post by steven vr »

Hi guys

My name is Steven Van Ruijssevelt, from Antwerp in Belgium. This winter my country will maybe run out of electricity due to problems with 6 of our 7 nuclear powerplants. yes 6 plants are down because off bad maintenance, and the goverment is planning on shutting them all down in 2025, without a real replacement source of power. Now we are powering the country with gas powered plants and power bought abroad. Mostly german power generated by coal. Have i noticed that we have singed a pact that we have to reduce greenhouse gas by 40 % in 2030? I started searching the web about alternitive power sources, stumbled on Thorium reactors, an off course Fusion. Took the time look at all the disigns,.. and then stumbled on this forum. Not that i 'am planning fixing the belgian engergy crisis but i was intriged about the idea of making my own reactor.

Started of with making some plasma with stuff i had laying around before getting in to real fusion. I had a neon transformer 3 Kv 63 Ma, also tested some 15 kv 23 Ma ignition coils from industrial gas burners. Used a Variac for controlling the power. bought a chinese vacuumpomp. One of my friends had some big Neodymium Magnets i could use for playing with the plasma. And yeah got some nice plasma in the chamber.

https://scontent-bru2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5C9608CE

https://scontent-bru2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5C9E515C

Next up building a stainless steel chamber, and keep reading the forum.
Dennis P Brown

Re: Hello from Belgium

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Hello and welcome; the issue of shutting down old nuclear fission plants is occurring here in the US, as well. These plants are old, have many corrosion issues (and to repair might cost billions) and natural gas is so cheap, the bottom line is that profits matter more than CO2 limits. So, neither new fission plants (far too costly) nor old plants (too costly to repair) are in our energy future compared to far more inexpensive natural gas plants.

Whether fusion ever develops fast enough isn't the issue since we need energy now. Do read up on the German W-7X stellarator but that is a purely test bed for magnets, rather than any fusion.

Fusors are interesting devices for home fusion/neutron source but will never provide any power. But building a real fusion reactor along with instrumentation has a major appeal to many people and is well worth the effort if one is realistic about the costs and their abilities. You appear to be following a useful path to get into this interesting field of physics.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”