Hello from Panama

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Johannes Toppe

Hello from Panama

Post by Johannes Toppe »

Hi guys,
My name is Johannes and I am currently working on building a demo fusor with a buddy of mine. We have a science fair coming up in a few weeks and our experiment is (probably) going to be testing the effects of varying high voltage on plasma (light intensity etc), although we do realise there is a lot of ambiguity in the question and would be grateful for any feedback. Additionally, I would like to create some simulations with software such as Matlab (I obtained a free trial), however, I am a bit lost upon as to how I should approach that as I haven't been able to find any templates that would closely resemble the demo fusor.

I was also wondering how one would obtain the temperature constant in the mean free path calculator [http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... re.html#c3] in a simple demo fusor (and I was assuming that for the molecule diameter I would simply take the weighted average of Nitrogen and Oxygen given that it is air plasma though I may be mistaken). Looking forward to becoming a part of this great community!
Johannes
Dennis P Brown

Re: Hello from Panama

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Hello and good luck with building your demo. As for light intensity, that will be controlled by a number of factors - system pressure, gas type, applied voltage and to a lesser extent, current and even polarity. So you need to define some of these parameters. For a typical real fusor, they tend to operate with deuterium gas of course, at about 5 microns and from 25 to 50 kV DC. These, of course, are not available for a demo fusor but are FYI.

I assume you will likely use air as your gas in your demo fusor. As for pressure, that will depend on what your vacuum pump can achieve - as such, you will need a suitable vacuum gauge that handles the pressure range/capabilities of your pump (do not use a cheap 29 inches of Hg/water type gauge. That is useless for pressures found in systems that support a plasma - under a torr is a good goal.) You will need a vacuum pump that can get below that pressure - say a 100 microns or so should work well with the voltages a neon sign transformer (NST) can provide.

As for voltage, you can use said neon sign transformer (I would strongly urge that you not use a microwave transformer - these are lethal) - NST's are fairly safe and have a range of voltages but 7 kV is common. A variac can control the x-former's output voltage. You can use diodes to create a DC polarity.

Average ion temperature is calculated from first principles and is dependent on the applied voltage and gas density. A plasma is not an equilibrium system (unlike normal air) and energy distribution between ions is not a simple calculation in reality. The site you reference is absolutely not appropriate for an ionized gas! That is for normal, unionized gases ONLY. A plasma does not really exhibit a classical temperature. For an ion of known energy, the 'temperature' is given by E = KT (where E is the ion energy in eV, and k is the Boltzmann constant.) For a plasma this simple value is not correct but for a single ion with a known energy, yields the so-called "temperature". There are programs that provide average ion energy in a plasma for a given excitation voltage and a host of on-line articles that discus this topic. You should explore this in your research to learn more on this topic for your project.

But for a very, very rough calculation of ion temperature (ignoring the mass differences), assuming the ions have a value close to your excitation voltage could be used for a first order calculation (But this is far from true. But it gives you a feel for the issue, even if far too large a valve.) Improving that calculation depends on how much work and interest you have. Certainly there are programs available for this type of calculation but not sure that is appropriate for a science fair. One does need to provide details for the bases of their program results. That is your call.

A few asides: Electron temperature and ion temperatures will differ a great deal in the plasma but light from the ions will dominate in the plasma - but do realize the ion temperature will be a good bit lower than your electron energy. The ion temperature alone will not provide you with the light emission of an ionized gas - an ionized gas is not a black body radiator but the intensity depends on quantum mechanical aspects of the system (spectral line emission, gas pressure and species type.) That is not an easy calculation - for molecules (like air), this is a very complex problem. You might consider using helium gas, instead. Helium is available from store bought balloons. Helium is a far simpler system to calculate and is well studied. Getting a light intensity from a gas can be tricky due to their non-broad band response and that most simple light meters have issues (response problems) with narrow band sources.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”