Hello from the Netherlands

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Nick Maassen

Hello from the Netherlands

Post by Nick Maassen »

Hello,

My name is Nick Maassen, I'm 27 years old and I graduated three years ago on the Science and Technology of Nuclear Fusion master at the University of Eindhoven. They have quite a nice student-run neutron-producing fusor there, but that's not what I specialized in. I designed a microwave detector at ITER for my internship and worked in the plasma operations group at JET for my graduation project. At the end of my graduation project I got an idea to cool the divertor of a commercial tokamak fusion reactor and I worked on that idea for about a year. The funding for this project was stopped unfortunately, but I'm continuing the project now by myself.

I can't discuss too many details about the project, but it requires local vacuum brazing of titanium. I plan to electrically heat tungsten wire to melt silver and trap a vacuum in the titanium. The vacuum chamber that I built for that purpose is shown below:

I might be able to borrow a EPX180 pump, and otherwise I will buy a dual stage rotary vane pump, and combine it with a small diffusion pump from ebay. I was originally planning to rough down the chamber through the diffusion pump, and searching the internet landed me over here so I decided to make an account here :)

So in summary: Fusion and vacuum yes, but no plans for building a fusor (yet)

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”