Hello from Boston

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Nathan Pennie

Hello from Boston

Post by Nathan Pennie »

Hi all,

I am totally new to this, but I have a bit of experience with computer programming, electrical design and amateur radio, though I still have a lot to learn! I think it's best to start with what I understand best, so I was going to start with the high voltage supply. I have never worked with high voltage before though.

Would be reasonable to attempt to build a high voltage supply? Or would I just be better off buying one and possibly repairing it?
Finally, if I could build one, where could I find some successful designs and common pitfalls to avoid? (Yes, I have seen the "no ignition coils post")

I also do understand that this would be very dangerous. I will take care to read as much as I can about high voltage safety in addition to consulting several people who are knowledgeable on the subject.

Thanks!
Richard Hull

Re: Hello from Boston

Post by Richard Hull »

Check out the high voltage FAQs.

Old amateur radio folks used to have no issue with high voltage as they built their own transmitters. Those days are gone. Everything is prepackaged.
For a demo fusor (non-nuclear) you will need a DC, negative-hot, positive ground supply. A 15kv neon sign transformer can make a full wave 0-8Kv supply if you variac the transformer.

For a real fusor, You will need a negative-hot 0-30kv or better supply capable of 10-20ma current, at least.

Again, read the FAQs.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Nathan Pennie

Re: Hello from Boston

Post by Nathan Pennie »

Thank you for the fast reply! I've been reading viewtopic.php?p=78762 as well as some of the FAQs. I'll try to get my hands on an old neon sign transformer and/or microwave oven transformer. In the mean time, I'll dig through the massive amount of information contained here and learn as much as I can.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”