From Florida, hello from someone working to start a new research laboratory

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
aresinstitute

From Florida, hello from someone working to start a new research laboratory

Post by aresinstitute »

Hello everyone, obviously I'm new here. I'm not new to fusor technology though. I work as Executive Director of a non-profit research institute in Florida, near Kennedy Space Center. My route in life to fusion is maybe a bit different from other people.

My first vocation is space exploration. That's why I moved here. I'm also committed to excellence in education, which is why I founded a non-proft, focused on space-related activities, of course.

Eventually, I met an executive of a small aerospace contractor who was, at the time, working on a project to set up a plasma/HE lab here with the fusor as the primary research instrument.

In 2002 we proposed the Spacecoast Plasma & High-energy Electrostatics Laboratory, SphereLab. We were able to attract initial support and researchers from a university and MOU-type backing from an aerospace contractor. Unfortunately, a few months later the space shuttle Columbia accident happened and both backers pulled out. The project was put on hold.

In 2007, our PI was killed in a car accident, making things more difficult.

Then, this year, President Obama proposed puttinbg a lot more money into space-related technology R&D, so I'm now working to revive the project.

Our focus is on developing fusor technology for space power and propulsion. Combined with splar power and ion propulsion, IEC fusion is, theoretically, ideally-suited to in-space applications. This true even without the net positive power production issue being solved, since we're concerned with thrust and the overall efficiency of the IEC-solar hybrid rather than specifically the electrical power generated.

So now that I'm working on this again and trying to get back up speed with the current state-of-the-art, you'll be hearing from me and my questions and ideas. Hopefully I won't sound too "green".

Anyway, that's my introduction. I encourage everyone to check out our website and learn more about us. http://www.aresinstitute.org.
Steven Sesselmann

Re: From Florida, hello from someone working to start a new research laboratory

Post by Steven Sesselmann »

Matthew,

Welcome to the forum, you appear to have quite an elaborate web site there..

I agree with you, that fusion powered propulsion is something worth pursuing, I am working on something right now, which I hope will have a use as a propulsion engine.

Please share your progress with us here on the forum, and enjoy reading the older posts.

Steven
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
tligon

Re: From Florida, hello from someone working to start a new research laboratory

Post by tligon »

Greetings, Matthew,

I actually ran into a reference to Spherelab II via www.aresinstitute.org while looking up STEM education in conjunction with "fusor" just today. I was pleased to see it and wondered if you had posted at fusor.net while I was not looking. And of course you had!

This looks like a potentially highly worthwhile effort.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”