Hello everyone!

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Philip Grundner

Hello everyone!

Post by Philip Grundner »

Hi my name is Philip and I have an insatiable apatite for learning new things. I live in Cincinnati and I'm on the road to build a fusor and learn a LOT along the way. A little bit about where I'm coming from... I am a ceramic engineer by schooling, but I have so many hobbies. I have worked for a large defense company for a few years and also as a fusion down-draw engineer (glass making, not remotely related to this type of fusion). I am currently working in CMC (ceramic matrix composite) material testing for aerospace/aviation applications. I also run (with my brother) a sculpted, hand-made wooden furniture company in our spare time. I only mention all this because I would like to contribute to this fusor community resources in engineering knowledge (welding engineers, mechanical eng, metals eng, glass and ceramic eng, EE's etc.) as well as access to reliable machine shops and the like through my networking. Additionally I have resources for machining in my own shop such as extensive woodworking equipment, some metal working/machining, low temp metal casting and a Duncan kiln for firing of ceramics (tis my specialty after all) if you find some use for that.

My goals are to learn substantially more about electronics, power supplies etc. as well as all of the nuclear physics, which have always interested me. My father has been working with mass specs for 30 years so I have the mass spec and vacuum resources there to learn from. I would like to build a reasonably nice fusor setup and I am really excited to share data from my runs so the community can learn and maybe even the industry (fingers crossed). Thanks!

Cheers
Philip
Dennis P Brown

Re: Hello everyone!

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Sounds like you have the resources to get things started. Do realize that some projects can take a while and that issues of radiation safety can arise with real fusors - not gamma but x-rays from electrons and high voltage issues (neutrons are not a big issue for most systems but detectors for them are a big deal and you will note there is a section on those important devices.)
Best of luck and the key to getting started is checking the FAQ sections for each sub-system required for a fusor, as well as Richards great overviews of that given device/system - he has loads of experience.
Starting with the power requirements is one of the more critical aspects that can derail a startup fusor project so that might be a good place to start researching.
Philip Grundner

Thank you for the tips.

I've done considerable research for quite some time in the FAQ section and elsewhere, but specifically on safety since I am not an expert in any of the areas needed for this project. From working in manufacturing and engineering I have built up safety habits, which I'm not afraid to stop and ask questions about when I'm unsure.

I have read through many of the FAQ's especially the power requirements because It is my least familiar area and I would suspect where most accidents happen. I plan to take it step by step and continue to build and improve my setup once I get my feet wet with each sub-component. I am however, determined to set up a good He3 detection system, but I am a long way from there at this point. The one thing I’m confident of is that nothing ever works the first time and there are always issues! Thanks Dennis!
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

One note - accidents DO NOT happen with real fusor power supplies because those things will kill. A real fusor power supply requires extreme caution and must have numerous safe guards. Mistakes are not allowed because you are not likely to get a second chance.

Keep reading and consider a demo fusor using a NST (much safer.) This will allow you to build up experience and create the required vacuum system without the issues of obtaining deuterium gas (a real issue since this is not sold to private people any more.) Converting heavy water is a major project that many have done (drying the gas is an issue from what I understand.)

Best place to start is creating the basic vacuum system - such a system can be used to join the plasma club (along with the NST.) A neutron detector is a nice goal (and worth doing) but without neutrons, this might be an issue for testing. Of course, keeping an eye out on e-bay for a He-3 detector is time well spent.
Philip Grundner

Correct, accidents with the power supplies in question would be fatal! I will get a two-stage pump first to learn the ins and outs before investing in a turbomolecular pump or diffusion pump since I will need a roughing pump anyway.

Greatly appreciate all your concern and caution you and others have given to newcomers. You never know on a forum someone's experience level or caution and seriousness when it comes to these types of projects especially in terms of safety. Especially since now-a-days many things are made with GFCI's/AFCI's and I think it gives people a false sense of security about electrical safety. As if they assume all the hazards have been engineered out for them. I think we're on the same page Dennis. Thanks!

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”