Usable X-ray Transformer?

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Ameen Aydan

Usable X-ray Transformer?

Post by Ameen Aydan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:28 pm

hello,

I did see the last post about a person asking weather or not an X-ray transformer would work, so I thought I would shoot for it as well. In the link I have inserted, I found a used panoramic X-ray machine that was going for 50 bucks. When I contacted the seller, I asked the person to add some more pictures and when they did, I started to wonder weather or not I could use it. It does not come with those big gallon buckets with wires extruding from them. Instead, it a small panel fitted on a wall with a hole bunch of instrumentation fitted on it. I thought it could be used because it said the exposure time is 20 sec (but not 20 sec max?), compared to the 1 sec exposure time that Richard mentioned in his FAQ's that wouldn't be viable. On top of this, it is a very old unit from my understanding, meaning there is a higher possibility that it could be used. I could not find any specification of the unit on the internet either because it wasn't enough, or I needed to pay for a sheet about it, which i'm not doing. Can you guys help in any way, either by providing some information on the unit or by just guessing, anything helps really. If you need anymore information, please say so =D.

P.S.
the unit is a far drive from my home, so I couldn't go there to see it myself.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-other/ ... 1347180630

Ameen Aydan

John Myers

Re: Usable X-ray Transformer?

Post by John Myers » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:54 am

The xrt is inside the part hanging off of the swivel arm.
Looks similar to the one I got. Should be large/old enough.

Ameen Aydan

Post by Ameen Aydan » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:38 pm

but how can I be sure? Are there any manuals on the internet about this specific design? I know its an S.S White Panorax machine, but from there I am simply lost.

MatthewL

Post by MatthewL » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:23 am

I also used an x-ray transformer from an old x-ray machine head. It is not ideal, as the transformers are rather lightweight, but others here and I were able to do fusion with them. I can't remember the post, but someone here couldn't use one of these transformer as there was some sort of shunt wired into it, and they ended up using a Glassman supply. I can not keep consistent voltages with my transformer (from a GE head), but I think it was due to rapidly rising pressures from water vapor in the vacuum chamber, not the transformer. 50 dollars isn't bad considering the price of them on ebay right now. Although, if you aren't in a hurry, I would wait as I have seen them go for $15 dollars on an ebay auction.

-Matthew

John Myers

Post by John Myers » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:52 am

To be sure you would need to get the model number and find the user manual. With something that old it may not be online though.

Ameen Aydan

Post by Ameen Aydan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:56 am

That is true. I will try my best to see if there are any manuals or schematics in this machine. I will update soon, with or without the manual.

Ameen Aydan

Post by Ameen Aydan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:57 pm

So, it turns out that the X-ray machine is too old to have a manual. I saw people selling them on the internet for up to $120, which no way in hell i'm buying. So I guess the best I can do here is depend on you guys to see weather or not one may have the machine or not. The closest I came to even mildly finding something related to machine was a google patent:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=pts&e ... lYOP3J4QBo

As i'm quite young, it is a challenge to look and guess about something like this. Its a 3 hour drive down so I don't want to waste my time going and coming back only to find I bought a dud. Your guess is much better than mine.

Ameen Aydan