Radio waves to increase fusion yield

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Joshua Guertler

Radio waves to increase fusion yield

Post by Joshua Guertler » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:49 pm

Greetings,

After looking over the work of people like Doug Coulter on this forum, I was curious if radio waves with a frequency between 20 and 20 MHz may be usable for increasing the yield of a fusion reaction. By this, I mean to suggest directing the radio waves through a waveguide and 'window' directly into the fusor chamber, where they may excite the existing plasma, hopefully increasing the rate at which fusion occurs. Would such an action be possible on an observable level (i.e. an increase of 10,000 neutrons per second)? If so, how powerful would such a radio source need to be?

As a brief perspective, the current fusor that I am working with runs on -40 kV DC at 400 W and sits in a steel chamber with a diameter of 6 inches, producing around 120,000 n/s.

Sincerely, Joshua Guertler

John Futter

Re: Radio waves to increase fusion yield

Post by John Futter » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:06 am

Joshua
why limit your frequency 20Hz to 20Mhz ( I assume that is what you wanted to write) is not a very big range as I have seen RF driven ion sources from kHz to many tens of GHz
maybe there is an unknown point that makes a better fusor somewhere in that range or higher ie 113 Terahertz

Joshua Guertler

Post by Joshua Guertler » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:41 am

Greetings,

I can go up to a maximum of 2.45 GHz. Would my apparatus work? Also, how many kW of power would I be looking at for observable results? My current RF source can only provide 2 kW.

To re summarize, I am planning to put a radio source up to a radio-transparent window that will allow radio waves into the vacuum chamber (pressure is at 5-10 microns). I am curious if these waves being let in will have a significant effect on the rate of fusion (positive or negative). Thank you.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:05 pm

RF is a great ionizer. Any microwave oven can do that easily. Tom Ligon had two magnetrons connected to Doc Bussard's 3 foot diameter fusor in 1997. His result were negative as to improved fusion. A few here have used RF as a source of ionization in simple ion sources. Naturally, there is a danger of working with high power RF microwave sources. Be careful if you pursue this avenue.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Joshua Guertler

Post by Joshua Guertler » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:07 pm

Greetings Mr. Hull,

Just to confirm, can I place the RF magnetron such that it faces directly at the operating inner grid? I ask this due to potential safety concerns with the electronics.

Also, would such an approach function at pressures of 5-20 microns when the inner grid has 40 kV DC applied to it? Thank you.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:14 pm

No! You cannot blast a fusor externally with high frequency microwaves! The magnetron must be part of the grounded shell with the stub into the chamber. However, good design needs to figure on reflections and VSWR issues to avoid blowing the magnetron up due to reflected energy. Microwave technology is an entire study within itself and at power, it can be very dangerous.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Joshua Guertler

Post by Joshua Guertler » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:50 pm

Greetings Mr. Hull,

Would it be possible to produce plasma using a radio wave source (20 MHz) without placing its emitter within the chamber? This would be to excite the plasma, not necessarily create fusion. Thank you.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:57 pm

No! The proximity of the antenna or coil would shunt the RF near a view port. Some small amount might get in, but all the RF issues remain. RF will not penetrate a sealed, grounded metal fusor shell from the outside. A tank coil wrapped around a glass tube filled with gas will work.

Richard Hull

Joshua Guertler

Post by Joshua Guertler » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:02 pm

Greetings,

My design is considering the use of a radio-transparent window view port to allow for radio to pass through. Would this be possible? I am asking this due to how I am currently unable to afford anymore major vacuum components to build the magnetron into the device. Thank you,

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:16 pm

Any radio/RF savvy buffs out there to put this issue to bed?

Richard Hull