Good Auction? [Leybold Turbovac 150]

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Pascal Mueller

Good Auction? [Leybold Turbovac 150]

Post by Pascal Mueller »

Hi,

so I'm still at the very beginning but I know I want to go the whole way so although I am still at the early stage of planning I am always looking for good vacuum pumps and other parts since I don't have a big budget and I hope to get a good deal.

Now I found this. I know I could probably get a running system with a less expensive pump but I am also willing to just take more time and pay a bit more to get something with quality.

So I found this auction which looks interesting but it's kind of hard to judge for me. I have a hard time finding good pumps which are based in my country. So usually the postage is around 100$ alone. I would like to get a more experienced users opinion. I did quit some googling and I am a bit confused. The price looks okay, there are refurbished pumps which are 1-2k but other used for around 400$. What confuses me is, that I can't really find the proper manual. I only found the one for Leybold Turbovac 151 or the one for the Leybold Turbovac 150 V or 150 H (some old scan), but I couldn't find the exact one but maybe the auctionator didn't give the full type? I also wasn't able to find the "Turbovac 150" in any of the catalogues. Anyway, sadly the plate isn't properly visible.

Here are the details:

Description: (translated by me)
This is a turbo molecular pump from Leybold, Model Turbovac 150.

The pump was tested and is in a fully functional state. (Didn't state how it was tested etc.)

Additionally, the pump is equipped with a air cooling system.

The current price is about 480$ (plus arodun 40, 50 for porto), although I think I can get it down a bit. (It's in there for one month now with 3 observer)

Note that I don't have a pre-vacuum pump yet. I really want to make sure my vacuum chamber is top notch, so if this is a good auction I might consider going for it. I want quality and don't have a rush.

Also, it comes without controller from what I see but I'd try to create it myself. The technical part shouldn't be a problem. The images are that small. Thanks a lot! It's my first post, I hope I didn't oversee any rules.

Link: https://www.ebay.ch/itm/232896541877?ul_noapp=true
Attachments
img8.jpg
img8.jpg (19.56 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
img7.jpg
img7.jpg (17.44 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
img6.jpg
img6.jpg (15.49 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
img5.jpg
img5.jpg (20.16 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
img4.jpg
img4.jpg (17.44 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
img3.jpg
img3.jpg (15.49 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
img2.jpg
img2.jpg (20.16 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
img1.jpg
img1.jpg (18.81 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
Richard Hull

Re: Good Auction? [Leybold Turbovac 150]

Post by Richard Hull »

Does it come with the expensive controller and very special cables?? It will not run itself. I must have a special electronic controller to power it up.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Pascal Mueller

Post by Pascal Mueller »

I know about the controller, I noticed I didn't mentioned it after I posted the question. From what I see it does not, at least it's not on the pictures and not stated but from reading here I saw that a lot of people build their own controllers. Woudln't that be possible here? I didn't know about the cables, going to research that. Actually wanted to read the manual first but had a hard time finding the correct one. :/

Edit: Ah it seems you mean the cables for the controller. These are as expensive as the pump itself as it seems. Thanks for pointing that out! Gonna ask the seller about it.

Thanks
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

All manufacturers tend to hold a tight grip on their pump cables and seemingly go out of their way to foil any attempt to create a work-around solution to provide power and cables to their turbo pumps. They realize for every turbo pump successfully sold surplus, that this is one less new pump they will sell.

They also realize that for each working pump that has a failed defective controller, many high end applications that demand the finest pumping application by users who are making a fortune or stand to lose a fortune due to anything but the best pumping action, will purchase a new pump. The old pump without its controller and cables might come onto the surplus sales market. They will only supply the proper cabling for a fortune to anyone attempting to either repair the electronic controller or manufacture their own controller.

This is why the diffusion pump is the best and least expensive solution to high vacuum work by the beginning amateur with a very tight budget where many other equally expensive components are needed to complete a project.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

You can make your cables for this pump
the pump uses a standard octal valve (Tube) Socket
if you build your own controller like I have then the other end of the cable is what you have on hand
There are about 5 differing controllers for this pump from Leybold
The latest is one that does the 150 through 1000 l/s pumps just set some dip switches to tell the controller which pump is connected
The controller doubles checks this as the proper cable senses a resistor in the pump to tell which pump is connected.

all is possible
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

All is indeed, possible, with a plethora of skill sets and abilities. Otherwise money must talk or you take a walk.

Richard Hull
Pascal Mueller

Post by Pascal Mueller »

Assuming I have the schemantics/specification of the controller (e.g. this might work), I think I could probably make it but reverse engineering it myself would be too much of a hassle probably.

I also read (I think it was in the FAQs) that a diffusion pump would fit better for me, since the tight budget, but I watched the market for several months and most of the equipment is from the neighbor countries. So I have to pay quit a lot of postage (around 50-150$ usually) and if I am unlucky I also might have to pay customs. (Especially since I am Swiss and we aren't part of EU) The good thing here is that I can order from Germany to the border and go pick it up there, saving me customs and postage. That's why I consider this although it's rather expensive.

Anyway, thanks for the input! I'm gonna take my time to do some research and not rush things here.

Return to “New User Chat Area”