CANBERRA SERIES 35 MCA STARTUP PROBLEM 2017

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Marco Tosini

CANBERRA SERIES 35 MCA STARTUP PROBLEM 2017

Post by Marco Tosini »

Dear Group,

thanks in advance for collaborating.

I have just bought a canberra series 35 plus mca from ebay. i bought it from a professional seller so the item arrived well packed cleaned and working.

I read the manual and decided to change the backup battery, following the suggestion to reset the memory. When i plugged again the adc board again .. .nothing appeared on the crt. after some test, i saw that if i pressed the test button on the monitor board, i could see the test pattern, the canberra logo and two lines with strange characters on the lower part on the crt.

If i press a button i can heard only one click and then nothing happens.

definitely the mca can't work anymore... what shall i do ? do somebody have a cpu board for spare?

my father - who helped me to replaced me the battery, may have touched some ic with solder wiring... maybe could be that problem?

did somebody have a similar problems?

i have no services manual of the series 35 and i could know how to solve that.

Thanks Marco

thanks in advance for collaborating,

Marco
Marco Tosini

Re: CANBERRA SERIES 35 MCA STARTUP PROBLEM 2017

Post by Marco Tosini »

attachment
Attachments
IMG_20170111_191832.jpg
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

Marko,

Make sure the various boards are fully seated in their respective sockets on the motherboard. (I normally tap them in using a small block of wood and soft face hammer)

I have both the service and operator manuals. Once I find them I'll put them in my Dropbox and post the link here.

Jon Rosenstiel
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

Marco,

Dropbox link to Canberra 35 Plus manuals and schematics...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t9b3og7v5tko ... h6eGa?dl=0

Jon Rosenstiel
Daniel Kula

Post by Daniel Kula »

Dear Jon,

Could you please upload again the schematics for Canberra "Series 35" MCA?
The original link seems to have expired.
I would like to compare boards and circuits of "Series 20" with those of "Series 35".
Thank you very much in advance.

Dan
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

Dropbox link to Canberra Series 35 Plus schematics.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fw75vox8xnoy ... _Ds-a?dl=0

Jon Rosenstiel
DavidBaumann

Post by DavidBaumann »

I am having some issues with my Canberra model 35 MCA. I managed to fix the start up problem by removing the memory battery, cleaning the main board and replacing some components. The DC power supplies all test good. I have been gradually working on my gamma spectroscopy system, I acquired a NIM Bin, HVPS, a spectroscopy amp, pre amp, signal splitter and a 1x1 scintillation probe. Here are some pictures when I attempted to take a gamma spectrum of a Co 60 source. Both the spectroscopy and preamplifiers have been adjusted and pole zeroed using a pulser and an oscilloscope. I rebuilt the Canberra 2005 preamp, since all of the tantalum caps were fried, along with the FET. Not sure why I am not seeing a proper Co 60 spectrum. The MCA indicates a peak when a signal is applied via the pulser and the channel position can be varied using the voltage control on the pulser, the intensity can be varied with the frequency control. What is going on? Could it be the detector or is it the MCA? I get pulses on the scope screen that are Gaussian shaped when a rad source is placed near the detector. I have tried all sorts of adjustments to the ADC on the MCA, with no improvement of the spectrum.
Thanks,

David
Attachments
Untitled3.png
Untitled3.png (267.79 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (219.22 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
Untitled1.png
Untitled1.png (197.74 KiB) Viewed 1520 times

Return to “New User Chat Area”