Granville Philips Mini Convectron 275538

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Pablo Llaguno

Granville Philips Mini Convectron 275538

Post by Pablo Llaguno » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:18 pm

I am thinking about buying this gauge so I can have accurate vacuum readings in my demo fusor. I will preferably get the GD-T model, which measures in Torr, has a built-in display and a KF16 fitting. My biggest concern is the rather rare power connection, according to the manual it uses a DeviceNet digital interface, which I don't understand how it works, even after reading the manual. Does anyone have first-hand experience with this gauge? Also, would this gauge work reliably in the chamber of a real fusor?

Thanks!

Andrew Seltzman

Re: Granville Philips Mini Convectron 275538

Post by Andrew Seltzman » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:35 pm

I'd recommend the mks 901p, they are more compact, have an rs232 interface as well as analog output, a kf16 flange, and are programmable for gas type so they will be in calibration fro air or deuterium.

I bought 2 from this seller and they work great, they sold me 2 for $52 each with best offer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TAKE-OFF-MK ... SwHgVW7Z00
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org

Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:59 pm

DeviceNet is a very common industrial networking interface created by Allen Bradley. Its just canbus signalling plus power. The connectors are very common too. If you just want to use the display the pressure using the built in display all you need to do it give it power.

Convectrons are good, reliable gauges used everywhere.

ian_krase

Post by ian_krase » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:24 pm

I still have no idea how to get digital data out of my devicenet convectron. I just use the display. 12 volt is fine for power. Should probably get a cheap usb CAN interface and try it. Didn't Doug Coulter demonstrate something like this?

I think that I can source connectors at 10 usd plus shipping (they are often very costly for no good reason)

Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:47 pm

It uses Can but the protocol is proprietary. Its well documented but no one has, as far as I know, implemented it outside of PLCs. So you would have to write the stack to handle the communications. You could get a cheap PLC with DeviceNet to handle the conversion but unless you have more stuff to automate it would be a waste of time. And then there is the issue that PLC programming software is not cheap.

So, just use the standalone display.

Andrew Seltzman

Post by Andrew Seltzman » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:45 pm

If you went with the MKS901p, you could add an arduino with an OLED display for the pressure
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org

ian_krase

Post by ian_krase » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:27 am

I see occasional rumors of people implementing it, but it never leads to a real "finished product". A bit odd since it's just built on top of CAN.

Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:38 am

ian_krase wrote:I see occasional rumors of people implementing it, but it never leads to a real "finished product". A bit odd since it's just built on top of CAN.
Its probably one of those deals where people go into it thinking it will be simple and then get bogged down implementing it and just push it aside.

ian_krase

Post by ian_krase » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:14 am

To me, it looks more like people who are good programmers but not interesting in supporting a library ad-hoc it (or try to), and then never write a single byte of documentation and it fades into the faerie world of internet rumors and ancient readme-less github commits.