He-3 Neutron Detector

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Dann Mensah

He-3 Neutron Detector

Post by Dann Mensah » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:37 pm

Hi!

I do regret that my first (well, second) post on these forums will be of this format. I've read through a huge bulk of the vacuum, HV and construction forums, but haven't gotten through most of the neutron detector material yet. Still, this particular detector showed up on my eBay, and since the FAQs stated that these are in high demand, I thought I would try my best at getting it as quickly as possible, if it does the job.

Here's the detector setup in question

Now my question is; is it truly as turnkey as the seller would have the public believe? Can I just plug it in and I'm ready to detect neutrons? Additionally, would this be enough to separate fusion from background noise on a power supply dishing out 20kV at 15mA? The vacuum side of things shouldn't be a problem.

Again, sorry for this sort of question. I'll put my efforts on the detection side of things next!

Dann

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Re: He-3 Neutron Detector

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:19 pm

It looks OK with most of the parts needed, but you might have to understand how to get the system to discriminate between gammas and real neutrons. This may or may not be part of the software you are supposed to receive. I can't be of more help than that. At lest the seller seems to know what he is selling and that is vastly more than most in the area of neutron detection.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.