60 kV DC Power Supply Questions

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Joshua Guertler

60 kV DC Power Supply Questions

Post by Joshua Guertler » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:29 pm

I am currently working on building a fusor capable of achieving 'star mode' (deuterium fusion) and am now in need of a potential high voltage power supply capable of putting out up to 50 kV DC. I found a high voltage electrostatic precipitator power supply on EBay* capable of putting out between 5 and 60 kV DC with a current from 8-12 mA. My question was whether this power supply could serve to power a fusor capable of producing nuclear fusion, as I did not see any mention of whether the power came off of the positive or negative output side and if the output from the polarities was balanced or unbalanced. Thanks.

Josh

*Here is the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Voltage-El ... 9%7E5ZWfYF

ian_krase

Re: 60 kV DC Power Supply Questions

Post by ian_krase » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:10 am

I think that someone has used one of these successfully but I'm not sure. I think it outputs center tapped isolated DC which isn't quite the right thing but they seemed to make it work.

I asked about it here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11474. But I think that some of the answers i got were wrong.

Here's the person who used one. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9355&p=63246&hilit= ... tor#p63246

Proceed at your risk, basically, but it looks like somebody got something.

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Frankly, I doubt it will for the average design fusor - more so, I feel the current rating (8-12 ma) is for the low end voltage; and in the 20+ kV, you might get only a few milliamps; which is not enough power. Be nice if this could do fusion - of course, if you have a really excellent neutron detector, that supply when in the lower voltage range might produce detectable fusion but no real knowledge unless tried. If one tries that power supply it would be good to use a small chamber since some here have reported good fusion when under 20 kV. Something to consider.

Joshua Guertler

Post by Joshua Guertler » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Greetings Mr. Brown,

I was looking at the current as well and, from asking around and contacting the supplier, it appears that the output power will almost always be around 400 watts (the product name also says that will be the general output). With that known, I am going to attempt to shoot for 40 kV DC and 10 mA, which will give me the 400 watt output. If that does provide a lower output for current than what I need, I will attempt 30 kV DC as the output and hope that it will produce around 10 mA. If all else fails and the current is too low to create easily detectable fusion, I will have to resort to using better means of testing for neutrons. Any ideas on how I could create a highly sensitive way of detecting neutrons? Thank you.

Sincerely, Josh

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:40 pm

The best method is an off-the-self, and rather costly He-3 detector; another option is a build your own He-3 detector (buy a He-3 tube and then, as much of the power supply/detector system as you desire or need depending on your skill level. A russian tube isn't as sensitive but I had good results and so have others with those. Does require a stable high voltage supply (1 -2 kV) for good results.)

Detecting neutrons is not easy. Do read on how chamber size affects required voltage and current requirements (recent posts by someone just recently introduced to the fusion club used a small chamber (really just a cross connector.)

If that power supply can do 30 kV at 10 ma and you use a small chamber, detectable fusion could be possible.

Joshua Guertler

Post by Joshua Guertler » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:06 pm

Sounds good, my only question would be what you define a small chamber as. I have a spherical chamber that has an outer diameter of 6", would this work as a small chamber to produce relatively detectable neutrons? Thanks again.

ian_krase

Post by ian_krase » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:15 pm

"small chamber" usually means a KF50 pipe tee fusor.

Joshua Guertler

Post by Joshua Guertler » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:59 pm

What would be the minimum current and voltage to produce semi-observable fusion in the fusor? I was planning to use a minimum power input of 20 kV DC and 20 mA, but I was also going to attempt to try 30-40 kV DC and 10 mA. Fortunately, I have access to a helium-3 tube neutron detector from a local university's nuclear reactor.

Tom McCarthy

Post by Tom McCarthy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:00 pm

FAQs. Check out the ones below. Most of what you'll be asking until you get into the nitty gritty will have already been written about and explained fairly well, there's a lot of information available in previous posts.

http://fusor.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9929 - what voltage does fusion start at

http://fusor.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9171 - current needed

http://fusor.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8651 - getting more fusion

I find that although Richard has provided a huge amount of info on ideal parameters for fusion, the best information available is in the Images Du Jour (as he regularly advises people to look there), where people have given details of their runs. You can see what voltages, currents, pressures and fusion rates they've used. Garrett Young's spreadsheet is a Godsend too - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1029807507

Tom

Joshua Guertler

Post by Joshua Guertler » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:07 pm

Also, could a fusor function with a pulsed DC input of around 40 kV DC and 10 mA? I have seen people use continuous input power, but I have never heard of anyone using pulsed DC input, which may indicate that it does not work (but I have also never heard of anything against it).