UK Transformer dilemma

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Nathan Whaley

UK Transformer dilemma

Post by Nathan Whaley » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:23 am

I have a bit of a problem, as i live in the UK and require a US mains rated nst I am unsure as of how i would get it to work. Those flimsy travel adapters hardly seem reliable or safe enough to run a transformer and variac off of. Has anyone else been in this situation? If so would you mind dropping a few hints?

Regards, Nathan

David Kunkle

Re: UK Transformer dilemma

Post by David Kunkle » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:16 am

Why do you require a US mains rated nst? Can't get any European transformers and variacs?

Have you checked what wattage the nst would use versus what a travel adapter is rated at/can supply?

John Futter

Post by John Futter » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:26 am

Travel adapters are just that
they adapt differing plugs /sockets used around the world no vlotage conversion needed as most smal gadgets have universal switch mode supplies 85-265 volts AC
I have not seen any small 230 /115 or 115 /230 convertors since the 1970s when there were 230 to 115 convertors that put a single very large diode in series to half wave rectify. good for resistive loads but blew up any induction motor type appliance
Note this can saturate your local supply transformer and let its smoke out
This is why these convertors were banned way back then

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:19 am

Travel Converter might also mean a respectable 110 - 220 volt autotransformer. That step up or down voltage ratio is sort of a sweet spot, because the current is the same in both halves of the winding.
The 500 VA size runs around $80 new, e.g. Dayton 30C518 or 16V986.
16v986.JPG
Attachments
Voltage-Converter-Instructions.pdf
(104.89 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Richard Feldman