Other Fuel Cycles

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Rideron

Other Fuel Cycles

Post by Rideron » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:10 pm

Can IEC's use fusion cycles other than D-D fusion? I have access to most of the materials I need for a fusor based on this design: https://makezine.com/projects/make-36-b ... ear-fusor/

But holy moly deuterium gas is expensive. I have access to hydrogen gas through my work and am wondering if P-P fusion or even P-B fusion could be achieved in the fusor, even if it is minute.

JoeBallantyne

Re: Other Fuel Cycles

Post by JoeBallantyne » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:19 pm

You would be the first to do PB11 fusion on fusor.net, if you were successful. There is a reason everyone does DD fusion instead. It's lots easier to do than PB11. BTW, you need to change your login username to your real name. There have been posts in the past on how to do so. Just search for real name, and you should find the instructions. Handles on fusor.net are NOT allowed.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:03 pm

There are past posts here on the virtual impossibility of achieving detectable, verifiable P-B11 fusion at the amateur level. P-P fusion is absolutely impossible, period! A bit of reading and study will immediately see why this is so for both types of fusion.

D-D fusion is a snap, yet only about 0.5% of all those landing here can even do that "easy" fusion.

One has to have the "right stuff" to do fusion. Only a tiny handfull have the verve and hands-on imperative to make it happen and be able to prove it. A number who have been here have claimed to do fusion, yet have failed miserably in proving it to a knowledgable and critical review by those who have done fusion and proved it.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Sarvesh Sadana

Post by Sarvesh Sadana » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:36 pm

If cost is a factor, you may wish to go through the electrolysis route for producing D2. It will require some work, but it's much cheaper.

Sarvesh

ian_krase

Post by ian_krase » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:42 pm

Even the Sun does P-P fusion at an absurdly slow rate - only because the Sun is very large does it light and heat the earth. Perhaps some day God will show us how to do it faster than the Sun, but that day is not come.

PB11 is problematic because it makes no detectable neutrons.

The Makezine fusor is good as an experiment but it cannot do fusion. You need a much higher voltage power supply. Better vacuum is nearly essential and for the sake of your safety you should use a metal shell. (You can do fusion in a glass fusor and some people have, but it's just asking for a face full of shards and X-rays.)

You can electrolyze heavy water as an alternative to using D2 gas. This requires equipment and is not the preferred option but may be easier for those who have a hard time getting ahold of the gas. If your gas inlet system is good, a little goes a long way.