Can I rough down a chamber through a turbopump's foreline?

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
DanielCorreia

Can I rough down a chamber through a turbopump's foreline?

Post by DanielCorreia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:15 pm

I'm trying to simplify a vacuum setup and minimize valves and connections; I'm wondering if the air pressure when pumping down from atmosphere through the foreline will damage the last few blades of the pump - is this a real concern?

Jerry Biehler

Re: Can I rough down a chamber through a turbopump's foreline?

Post by Jerry Biehler » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:53 am

Most modern turbos limit motor current so you can pump through the foreline and the pump will speed up as the pressure goes down. If the pressure does not go down fast enough the pump will time out and shut off. So with these you can turn on the roughing pump and the turbo at the same time.

And you can rough thorough any turbo with it off. The turbo wont care, it is not very restrictive.

DanielCorreia

Re: Can I rough down a chamber through a turbopump's foreline?

Post by DanielCorreia » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:19 am

Perfect, thanks a lot!