Waste gasses of D-D reactions

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Ben_Minnix

Waste gasses of D-D reactions

Post by Ben_Minnix » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:20 am

Hello, I am still relatively new to this but how do you treat the waste gasses produced in the fusor reaction chamber. If I read correctly, D-D fusion reaction produce some Helium 3. How do you guys treat this? Do you just release it in the atmosphere? I understand that the amount of gas present is immensely minute but as a chemistry fanatic, I can't imagine just throwing away Helium 3. Would there be any way to collect this? I don't possess or have access to a fusor capable of fusion (if I did, I would be running experiments daily!) In fact, I'm still working up to gathering supplies for a demo fusor. These are just some questions that I thought of.

BTW, this question does not have to just apply to helium 3 production, this also applies to any exotic isotopic gasses produced, tritium, ect. Thanks for reading this!

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Re: Waste gasses of D-D reactions

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:23 am

You more or less answered your own question. As a chemistry buff, figure out the molar amounts of gas at running pressures. All Amateur fusors that work well are continuously pumped. A very good fusor will do 500,000 neutrons/sec or 1 million fusions. Only a rare fusor can run at full capability for 20 minutes. Do the math. It has already been done here and the displayed in the past as this question is asked and answered, long ago.

In short, all gas are pumped out to the environment. There is virtually no functioning or measurable quantities of any of the ash products in any fusor.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:00 am

Good question, but look at the numbers.

Reaction products other than free neutrons would be a serious challenge even to detect, much less to accumulate and save.
Consider the tiny flow of deuterium that is leaked into the chamber and pumped right back out.
A fusion rate of 1 million per second would yield 3He and 3H in the exhaust at concentrations much less than 1 part per trillion.

BTW, the plural form of the noun "gas" almost always gets the regular spelling: "gases". Gasses is a regular form of the verb "to gas". I gas, you gas, he she or it gasses. Gassed yesterday, still gassing today. The pretty acrylic grid support outgasses too much.
Richard Feldman

ian_krase

Post by ian_krase » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:27 am

Yeah, I doubt one could extract products by any means other than mass spectrometry.

Ben_Minnix

Post by Ben_Minnix » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:06 am

Yeah,that seems to make sense. I guess my dreams of one day building a 3He producing fusor will not come true. I guess I'll have to settle for the neutron experimentation :P. Thank you all for the replies, really did help answer my question.