Xray tansformer. Usuable or not?

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Jerry Biehler

Re: Xray tansformer. Usuable or not?

Post by Jerry Biehler » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:04 pm

Those boards/controls probably had pretty simple interfaces that could have figured out. The stuff in the pics is the easy part, its the controls that is going to be difficult and not turning the easy part into smoking semiconductors. Plus you are going to need a lot more bulk capacitance if you run on single vs three phase.

I will be very surprised if you make this work.

Donny Mott

Post by Donny Mott » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:47 pm

So much positive encouragement here. not.
The Eupec Power blocks are similar to IGBT's. I have some more learning but they will switch this current and I believe at up to the right freq. I need to hack together a oscillator to drive them. Right now this is over my head. Which is why I was coming here for some advice.
I have a circuit in my shop that ran a 90kva scr rectifier that I used for the electropolishing line I built. I am not going to be running this at 150kv and 200amps.

Donny

Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:24 am

"Right now this is over my head."

Yes, thats why I dont think you are going to get this to work. Designing controls for these kinds of supplies is a non-trivial task for experienced EE's, not to mention someone who has little experience in them.

Not only are you dealing with high voltages you are dealing with a good amount of stored energy, one little goof in hardware design or software and you will instantly fry those power modules. This is not something you just hack together.