Design Foundation?

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Nate Price

Design Foundation?

Post by Nate Price » Thu May 10, 2018 3:46 pm

In the Scientific America magazine there is a column called Amateur Scientist. One of the issues has a design for a "Deuteron Accelerator". Reading the Fusion Theory FAQs I couldn't help but wonder: Could I use that design as a foundation for my own design? Does a Fusor even use a formal Deuteron Accelerator? If not, could it be modified to?

MatthewL

Re: Design Foundation?

Post by MatthewL » Thu May 10, 2018 4:15 pm

I'm not sure of the exact design you are referring to (a link might help), but I do know of their vandegraph proton accelerator, which would accelerate deuterium. The fusor usually built here is a type of deuteron accelerator, except it accelerates deuterium nuclei towards the central grid. There are people on the forum who have posted about building a linear deuterium accelerator, and you can get fusion with it. Depending on the design you are referring to, the classical Farnsworth fusion reactor is probably the simplest reactor design around for an amateur scientist to build. Ultimately, you could build a type of linear accelerator, but the classical fusor is still simpler.

-Matthew

Nate Price

Post by Nate Price » Thu May 10, 2018 4:42 pm

Another Question: Could we collect the ejected electrons and use them in the energy as well?

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Thu May 10, 2018 4:46 pm

As someone who has built both such devices, a fusor is far away easier. An accelerator requires very high voltages that are very difficult to achieve. A Van Da Graaff is not doable for most people (there are exceptions but I still have not seen a real working accelerator posted using a VDG.) I did built a 100 kV high power supply (using voltage multipliers so NOT useful for a fusor) but coupling issues dragging down the voltage made it impractical for an accelerator. Not saying it can't be done but many here (including myself) have built working fusors but I haven't seen more than two real accelerators (not souped up ion guns but that is really an off topic issue) and neither used a VDG.

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Thu May 10, 2018 4:50 pm

Nate Price wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:42 pm
Another Question: Could we collect the ejected electrons and use them in the energy as well?
Not fully clear what you are getting at but excited electrons in a fusor are not useful nor available to do work. The issue is the electric field - that generates the force for the deuterium ions and disrupting that, does not lend itself to a good fusor.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Thu May 10, 2018 8:36 pm

The electrons can do really good work in the fusor in spite of their huge net losses in the process.

Electrons help create deuterons in several ways. First by collision, separating the molecular bond of D2 and then by ripping off D electrons. Then, they can help knock out and ionize buried deuterium atoms as they blast the shell of the fusor. They can recombine with deuterons creating high speed deuterium atoms. The intense field may start things popping, but once the plasma kicks in and fills the chamber with billions of high speed electrons, they can go to work for us.

In spite of the above assistance they give us, 99.999% are just lost and wasted input energy.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

ian_krase

Post by ian_krase » Fri May 11, 2018 4:17 am

To me, a "deuteron accelerator" evokes a Rapp Instruments style BOTtle.