Pneumatic gate valve trouble shooting

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Ameen Aydan

Re: Pneumatic gate valve trouble shooting

Post by Ameen Aydan » Thu May 31, 2018 3:03 pm

Here is a couple pics of the diffusion pump flange and specs

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jC4SH ... YsNDGHvH2V

Just looking at it, you guys are right. With the chamber that I want for the reactor, the pump will be bigger by a large margin than the reactor. This doesn’t seem very good. The person was selling it for $300 which is very cheap, but with what you have said, it makes sense why. Truly, bigger is not always better and this case is worse. I will do my best to find a new secondary pump, be it a diffusion or turbo.

Thank you.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:19 am

That is actually a 5 inch throat in the picture. Still, a bit too big.

Diff pumps that are in good shape are "no-brainers" to operate and maintain. Turbos can have a lot of issues such as no controller sold with it.... No cables sold with it..... Bad bearings and oils or water cooling can even be an issue.

Try and shoot for a diff pump of the proper size in clean condition with a good heater in it.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:16 am

I have a pump similar to that that I pulled off on of my coating systems. If I could get $300 out of it I would be very happy. They are pretty much useless in this day and age for anyone doing coating when you can get cryo and turbo pumps and they dont need baffles or cryotraps.