Magtube

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Eddy Barnett

Magtube

Post by Eddy Barnett » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:57 am

The proposed Magtube consists of three single pressure reduced tunnels connecting Melbourne to Sydney with passing stations at Albury and Canberra allowing a 1,000kph 2,000 seat maglev train through each 200 kilometre tunnel in 15 minutes becoming an immediate monopoly with $2b per year income.

Using Japanese maglev with the same power usage it should be possible to have a 5.6m diameter train in the 6m diameter tunnel so the train would push the air towards the next station where another compressor would evacuate it preventing a pressure build up.

As I only have a layman's grasp on vacuum I would greatly appreciate input from anyone who has a bit of knowledge of what type of compressor would be best to evacuate the one tonne of air that would enter via the airlock with every train.

Eddy Barnett

Re: Magtube

Post by Eddy Barnett » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:49 pm

After talking with a mate I now believe it will be possible to use only the train as the vacuum pump.

The proposed demonstration would consist of a weighted loose fitting piston within a long tube with a ball valve at either end so when the piston is released from the top end air would be forced out the bottom until bubbles stopped in the water bucket at which point the tap would be quickly shut, piston securing magnet applied and tube inverted so when the securing magnet is released the process is repeated.

As the vacuum is increased in the tube the time for the piston to travel to the bottom would become shorter demonstrating it only needs the train, an airlock that can accommodate the train and an exhaust valve both ends to push the one tonne of air that enters with every train out the tunnel exhaust valve adjacent to the next station.