Power Source Voltage Ripple Regulation

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Chris Giles

Re: Power Source Voltage Ripple Regulation

Post by Chris Giles » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:23 pm

Thank you for the insight Richard.

I have another thought for you all to ponder, which may have some practical bearing on use of (rectified) AC vs DC. I guess the closest common type of load is a gas discharge lamp. These need to reach a striking voltage after which the resistance decreases with current when the gas is glowing. Obviously these are normally run from AC. With AC an inductive ballast choke ("magnetic" ballast) is usually used rather than a resistive one. This has the advantage that the voltage drop across the ballast is primarily reactive and thus it will not dissipate (much) power, unlike a resistive ballast.

Still even at 30kHz (for SMPS PSU) it needs to be very big (0.5H) to get 100k impedance (as i see recommended in other posts) so perhaps getting or making such a thing is impractical? Maybe use the secondary winding from one or more of these flyback-type transformers as a choke? Its gonna generate a ton of EMI though!

Alternatively if you are using a 100k resistor and passing 30mA through it this is dissipating 90W, so also not an off-the-shelf component and a lot of heat generated..

Thoughts?

Regards
Chris

Dennis P Brown

Re: Power Source Voltage Ripple Regulation

Post by Dennis P Brown » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:32 pm

Or one simply places their hollow core ceramic ballast resister under oil and the heat load is irrelevant.

What you describe earlier in your post for "arc lamps" isn't too different to how neon sign transformers operate.