Generate dense, cold plasma?

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Sven Andersson

Generate dense, cold plasma?

Post by Sven Andersson » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:25 pm

Hullo everyone,

Looking for some advice on how to generate a cold, dense plasma, where the pressure is something like a 100 microns and upwards to 1 atm. Would an electric arc be useful? I have a feeling that that method may be suitable for my project. But how do you actually do it? I need a some sort of instruction on how to proceed...

By cold I mean a plasma where the ions are cold. I'm planning to work with deuterium gas, BTW.

One useful method may perhaps be to irradiate D2 gas with electrons from a heated cathode. But, again, how should the actual experimental setup look like?

Using a setup with RF power may also be useful. Look at the video below. I posted a still from it too. Now, if you would try that with D2 instead of Argon gas, what would happen? Let's say the plasma seeps into a container with some inert gas or perhaps D2. Would there be a significant population of deuterons in the plasma? Would it be a completely dissociated plasma?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRKaoyVTprU

ScreenHunter_330 Sep. 19 20.15.jpg

Dennis P Brown

Re: Generate dense, cold plasma?

Post by Dennis P Brown » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:30 pm

Not too sure about the cold plasma generation but working with deuterium at or near atmospheric pressure is a recipe for a gas build up and a significant and even lethal explosion - also, hydrogen/deuterium fires are invisible.

Post writing note; I missed that you might consider doing ignition in air: igniting deuterium in air (i.e. about 20% oxygen) will simply cause the deuterium to burn (assuming no buildup) - why waste your time building an RF source? Just use a lighter. Again, explosion hazard big time. One never uses deuterium in air with an ignition source. That is not an approach to fusion - just fire or explosion.

There is a reason that example you show used argon!

A chamber filled to any real pressure with deuterium and using any source to create a plasma would be extremely dangerous and is called a likely bomb - any inward leak of air could lead to a massive explosion. An outward leak can, again, lead to an explosion. No one here that I am aware of uses deuterium at pressures above 10^-3 torr range. There is a reason for that.

Sven Andersson

Post by Sven Andersson » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:07 pm

If I let the deuterium (or hydrogen) plasma seep into a container with Argon or Helium gas, then there should be no problem of an explosion, or? A fairly large tank of Helium can be bought for a few hundred crowns in Sweden. Argon is cheap too.

However, what I'm really interested in is to get info on cold plasmas. If you know anything about that please respond!

Roberto Ferrari

Post by Roberto Ferrari » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:23 pm

Hi Sven

This review has many references to different procedures to get cold plasmas.
Attachments
Cold plasmas.pdf
(845.26 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:27 pm

Again, and as always, if anyone feels they might have an idea leading to fusion be it good old fashion Cold fusion, good old fashioned and continuously failing hot fusion, cold plasma fusion or any hair-brained ideas that will do fusion..........TRY IT! Report back to us with data and your process all along the way.

Do not ask our thoughts on things we have never tried. We will either not respond or will be giving advice based on how it will never work or, less likely, how we think you are really onto something. You can rest assured that such advice is mostly come out of our butt-holes related to our "best guess" be it educated or not.

The very best you might expect is a helpful and informative URL like Roberto posted above. We will not do much for you beyond the foregoing.

Do! Then, report back.

Oh!........not to be the slightest bit negative, but we never "hear back" when we suggest "the doing".

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Sven Andersson

Post by Sven Andersson » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:43 pm

Negative waves oozing from Richard Hull! Woof! Woof!

1f484895129a0cefae1e7bbed2261ce6.jpg
1f484895129a0cefae1e7bbed2261ce6.jpg (17.05 KiB) Viewed 583 times

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:05 pm

Positive waves....Do it...Report back...Provided one packs the gear needed to do it...or do anything about what they are talking about. Viable data tends to silence all critics unless the data is not viable....or....if no data is ever presented.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:14 pm

Luminous plasmas are an electronic phenomenon and not nuclear. It only takes 13.6 volts to totally ionize hydrogen isotopes. Completely ionized. It will of course recombine with an electron and emit light at the first collision or near collision with anything else. Besides providing light and conductivity, there is not much else.

For any nuclear reactions like the start of any real fusion, a thousand times more energy is required. Fusion requires 35 KeV to even get out of the gate.