Vacuum chamber parts

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Jess Williams

Vacuum chamber parts

Post by Jess Williams »

Trying to upgrade from a glass jar, just am not comfortable with it anymore and want to do some more precise experiments that I cant use a glass jar for haha. Where are some sites I could order a 6-8inch diameter glass or some other clear material thats suitable for vacuum chamber use (along with containing plasma) from that wont break the bank?
Ameen Aydan

Re: Vacuum chamber parts

Post by Ameen Aydan »

If you are trying to do precise experiments then a glass jar wouldn't be your best bet. On top of this, they a pretty expensive. An answer to your question is you can find it on eBay. I really recommend to just go on eBay and find any type of 6 way-cross that you find suitable (CF, KF). They're cheaper, easy to find and will help a lot in any experiment.

Ameen Aydan
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

Yes, glass bell jars or cylinders of any kind are just risky even for demo fusors -- too easy to heat up to a hot spot, crack, shatter, and implode.

A better idea is a tee or cross, plus flat glass viewports -- *much* less expensive, and much less dangerous if it breaks.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

I would agree that glass jars are not safe to perform plasma experiments in. Although, for other experiments, I purchased a 6 inch diameter X 8 inch tall pyrex glass cylinder from Denton Vacuum a couple years ago. I don't see were to buy them on their website now. Maybe they still sell them if you call Denton. I think it was around $175.

Return to “New User Chat Area”