Slight dents on the knife edge... Will it work?

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Ameen Aydan

Slight dents on the knife edge... Will it work?

Post by Ameen Aydan »

Hello,

After some time I have finally completed all necessary designing processes in the endeavour of building a fusion reactor. I found a seller on eBay who was willing to sell me a 4.5" 6 way-cross for a reasonable price. The biggest problem, however, is the knife edge. Attached are some pictures showing some of the dents.

Will these be good enough to pull a vacuum? I am looking to go to pressures of at least 10^-6 Torr. I can't be patient because they go fast and take a long time to find again. Are there any accommodations I can make to improve the vacuum? Can I machine it slightly to improve the knife edge? Please ask for anything and I will answer promptly. Thank you!

Ameen Aydan
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 1.02.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 1.01.55 PM.png
richnormand

Re: Slight dents on the knife edge... Will it work?

Post by richnormand »

Have a look at this thread for a start.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=10856&start=10
Ameen Aydan

Post by Ameen Aydan »

I have seen that thread (no photos for reference), along with another that details a viewport that had some damage. They figured that using some apiezon M grease would help for 10^-6 Torr. They also said to just use viton gaskets instead. I also heard that some people can re machine it, which I may consider.

All these options cost a lot or might be too risky. I want to make sure that this 6 way-cross is worth its money. That's why I am asking what the possible vacuum I can pull for the cross. I really appreciate you trying to point this out because of all the spam on these forums these days.

Ameen Aydan
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

there is no guarentee as what vacuum a damaged bflange will get to
how ever an oring instead does not use the knife edge so it will sealand is more than good enough to 10^ -7 torr
the best optionis to have the damaged seal cut off and a new one welded on

Return to “New User Chat Area”