Regrind the seal face of a flange of a turbo pump for better vacuum

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Pascal Mueller

Regrind the seal face of a flange of a turbo pump for better vacuum

Post by Pascal Mueller »

Hi,

so I am still searching for nice pumps and I came across this item here. The price was a bit high I think but reading the description raised some questions I'd like to discuss.

So apparently the pump (Turbovac SL80) made it to 10e-4 mbar. It takes 3mins to get to full speed. He doesn't know if it gets any better because he doesn't have the equipment. Anyway, he's saying in the description of the auction that the seal surface of the flange on the turbo pump has some scratches. So to get a better end vacuum, one might have to regrind this surface.

Now I am wondering: How would one regrind such a surface? What would you use? (Note, the SL80 is apparently capable of an vacuum of 10e-10mbar) Any experience how such scratches can make the vacuum worse?

I added a few pictures.
Attachments
turbovac1.jpg
turbovac1.jpg (19.65 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
turbovac2.jpg
turbovac2.jpg (21.58 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
turbovac3.jpg
turbovac3.jpg (27.1 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
John Futter

Re: Regrind the seal face of a flange of a turbo pump for better vacuum

Post by John Futter »

face is more than good enough use a very small amount of apiezon grease on the oring
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

I doubt if you even need any grease. Worse case you can sand any scratches smooth. O-rings are compliant, they dont care too much about flat, sharp scratches are the biggest problem.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Before grinding or adding grease, test the item! If it holds vacuum by passing leak tests, nothing further should be done.

If not, trying vacuum grease (following SOP(!) carefully.) As near to no grease as possible is the best amount

If all these methods fail, (and turning on a lathe isn't an option) then grinding can be done by hand. A slow but easy method is to securely mount a fine to very fine Emery cloth (depending on the damage depth) on a very flat metal plate (glass plate on metal works better) and with the edge face down, execute random figure eights on the Emery cloth. The area should be amply large enough to allow this for the throat size of the turbo. Use the finest grade for the final 'grinding". Each step down in paper grade means much longer grinding time. A magnifying glass will allow you to inspect the degree of progress and when to stop.

Never turn the pump so that grit/debris enters the turbo. Holding inverted, clean the surfaces and inter edge before turning back to normal vertical,
Pascal Mueller

Post by Pascal Mueller »

Of course I am going to test it, I was just wondering how bad such a damage can be - not that I buy something which basically is broken. Also I wasn't able to find a lot information about it.

I guess SOP stands for standard operation procedure?

I have access to the whole machine park of my university. So if I need something they for sure have it somewhere.

Thanks for all the tips! I can't wait to test it - but since exams are coming up I probably won't have time soon. :/

Return to “New User Chat Area”