Someone give me some exact specs

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
William Pete

Someone give me some exact specs

Post by William Pete » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:04 pm

Been told there was flaws in my first approach, need someone to give some decent instruction here. This should be a simple process down to part numbers and what-not.

Not too concerned about the cost as it should be straightforward and have seen people do this for under $1000

Thank you, onward & upward ladies and gents.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Re: Someone give me some exact specs

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:32 pm

Folks come here all the time and want blue prints, parts lists with part number, etc. There are no blue prints, no parts lists with part numbers.
There is no fun to be had in that approach. There are about 100 ways to make a functioning fusor with countless thousands of parts that can and have been used over the 20 years of this effort.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

William Pete

Post by William Pete » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:50 pm

So if I am not mistaken this is like a glorified form of cooking methamphetamine?

Every other scientific process has a direct, cultivated, and proper way of doing things.

I'm not against jimmy rigging something - but I need the support of others to dictate what specific parts I may need and how I might go about assembly of those parts. Without that guidance this is futile.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:05 pm

You are in good company. Many others who came here did not "pack the gear" needed to read, read and read some more.....To roll up their sleeves and get busy actually doing something. They just could not overcome their self-directed learning rest inertia. They left after going nowhere... one-quarter of the way... half the way, etc., etc. No verve + inertial stasis = no fusion. The most common equation for newbies.

Too bad UPS can't just deliver a big wooden crate of parts with full instructions ordered from a catalog with metal pages so one can build an Interocitor as happened in the movie, "This Island Earth".

I failed in my effort on the Interocitor. I only got as far as getting the needed "bead condenser"

Richard Hull
Attachments
XC3.JPG
XC2.JPG
XC1.JPG
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:32 am

>>I'm not against jimmy rigging something - but I need the support of others to dictate what specific parts I may need and how I might go about assembly of those parts. Without that guidance this is futile

William, it's good to see you using the New User Chat Area.
But you are still behaving like a forum troll.

[edit] By the way, congratulations on your asteroid. Seriously. It's actually well earned, unlike the "Star Registry" gift scam that used to be advertised every December. Not given out for regional science fair grand-prize judging. Let's see if there's room for a little snip from Wikipedia.
22782-22809.jpg
Richard Feldman

William Pete

Post by William Pete » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:26 am

Hey,

Thanks fellas. you guys are actually pretty legit.

I'm not a troll! just know that haha. I am just *ahem* a little "internet challenged" as my social skills are just abrasive to others (a little odd for a millennial; but I don't use facebook or social media in general just because I know I piss people off)

But as for fusion, I'm prepared to spend easily 2-3 years on this project because I came here to ultimately learn something, follow the scientific method, adhere to proper safety procedures, and be able to use the experiment of achieving legitimate fusion to wholeheartedly advocate for nuclear as safe, clean, and nearly renewable energy.

My previous comment about this forum treating these reactors along the lines of a meth lab was not trolling, but simply my observation and a comparison. The popular ADHD drug adderall is 1 molecule different than this street drug cooked in sketchy home labs, but what makes Adderall a successful, safe, pharmaceutical is an extensive quality control process that shepherds responsible use from the patients perscribed it.

Even if it means spending some extra money to do this right, and spending the extra time to run it by some guys with educations in the field who have achieved fusion safely - I see this as an extremely worthy investment of my time that really is not something I could get through a University even (I am highly attracted to renegade education from hands-on experience)

Before even posting here I began familiarizing myself with how safe the nuclear process can be; from my research so far I have found that even some of the worst disasters associated with nuclear energy are environmentally far less harmful than say, something like the Exxon Valdez spill. My belief is that someday soon a fusion reactor will be about as common and non-threatening to the average person as a home furnace.

Thank you for your responses and time.

William G. Pete

Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:15 am

You could put together a part list to make a fusor, but it wont be possible to do it under $1000, possible an order of magnitude larger. With this kind of stuff it is pretty difficult to find an exact part used so you have to scrounge, find used, modify, etc to keep the costs down. When you have part numbers and you stick to that you are using new parts and you will find anything having to do with vacuum and gas delivery is insanely expensive.

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:06 pm

If you want a list required to build a fusor then that is easy; so easy it is beyond the pale that anyone and everyone with money doesn't construct a fusor.

Just buy off the self items and I'll even give common prices:

A negative power supply of 400 watts or greater power with 30 kV output (or 40 kV better.) Cost - a steal at $5 to 7 K.

A turbo (any unit you can find vacuum connections to for a manual gate value.) Cost, $10 - 15 K and up.

A manual gate value (to fit said turbo.) $3 K and up.

An average lab grade two stage vacuum pump - around $3K.

KF fittings/connection tubes and a steel vapor trap for said pump: $3 K and up depending on valves (they run about $1K and up each) and complexity.

A vacuum gauge system for micron to torr range - $3 to 5 K

A turn key neutron detector; lucky, people sell those for about $1K but need your own computer to run the software.

Deuterium gas often isn't generally for sale to the average person; make your own for under $1K. Maybe convince a welding supply company for a small bottle (need a regulator); est. about $2K.

If you think anyone can give you a list for building a fusor system for $1K, then you have been busy cooking meth and abusing it. Building a real fusor for about $1K requires a lot of skill and know-how; information gained from reading the FAQ's so as not to ask questions already available in those sections. Then after getting this knowledge, watching ebay for deals and talking with people here who know what they are doing so you get what you really need. Then building sub systems and gaining real experience so that you work your way up to a real fusor. Or, just buy new, off the self stuff (some do) for big bucks.

Safety - if you are comparing nuclear power systems like power plants (fission reactors and experimental fusion reactors) with fusors, you are comparing a backyard toy rocket kit for teen's with NASA. Essentially, that is comparing apples to oranges and not to be done. Real fusors are highly dangerous but only to someone using them. The voltages are lethal and depending on design, the x-rays from the high voltage can be moderate to very dangerous. The neutrons are the least issue and generally are very safe so no real relevancy to real nuclear power plants/test beds.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:22 pm

Jerry and Dennis got it right. If we had a list of good parts that would make a fusor in all hands, it might run $30,000. Even with plus-ultra parts and fully assembled, It is somewhat of an art to successfully run and operate one to peak efficiency. Much is written about the "artifice" involved in operation in the forums and FAQs.

Richard Hull

Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:27 pm

I failed in my effort on the Interocitor. I only got as far as getting the needed "bead condenser"
A bit off topic: Richard, where did you get that bead condenser prop? Make it yourself?
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.