Firsts?

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Joe Gayo

Firsts?

Post by Joe Gayo »

What are some of the amateur firsts that the forum sees as valuable and still to come?

I'm not talking about unrealistic neutron numbers, but some of the previous accomplishments like use of D2O electrolysis, ion guns, activation of difficult elements.
Joe Gayo

Re: Firsts?

Post by Joe Gayo »

What about a system that doesn’t require a diffusion/turbo pump and a simple 2 stage rotary pump is sufficient? This potentially makes a neutron producing device more accessible.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

My first fusion in fusor III was accomplished without a diff pump. I did have a "micro maze" between the mechanical pump and the fusor, however. This allowed not quite an order of magnitude more in the depth of vacuum. I quickly learned that while fusion is possible, it gobbles up a large amount of flowing deuterium before fusion ever takes place. The best I ever did in this manner was 100k n/s. Only a good clean system will conserve deuterium and that typically demands at least a diff pump as a secondary pumping system.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Chris Mullins

Post by Chris Mullins »

Getting one of those cheap precipitator HV supplies to work in a fusor would be a new accomplishment I think.

Here are couple of discussions about them:
Precipitator power supplies? viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11474
Test of Chinese Precipitator Supply viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11992
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

I will add my two cents. I agree with Chris. A really big first would be building a fusor grade power supply - say for under $250 dollars - that is reliable, and provides over 250 watts of power at/above 25 kV negative DC (30 kV would be a good bit better.) Whether using the cheap Chinese supply (or by modifying said unit) or find a way to do it with available parts would be a breakthrough that would change the game for building fusors.

Aside: winding your own transformer core is not a breakthrough approach.
Cristiano_Machado

Post by Cristiano_Machado »

Hello,

The solution developed by Chris Bradley seems very interesting viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4887. Do you know if anybody here has replicated that HV source?

Regards,

Cristiano
Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo »

I would use two or three of these (https://highvoltageshop.com/epages/b730 ... 20A_kit_AC) ... the output is AC and could be combined as Chris Bradley showed.

Return to “New User Chat Area”