Silver Solder for HV Insulator

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Luke Harrill

Re: Silver Solder for HV Insulator

Post by Luke Harrill »

Update! I decided to test the seal before I installed the stalk.

I plugged the top of the feed through by polishing it and placing a rubber stopper under a SS cap (with a tiny bit of Apizon M). I pulled down to 25 microns and turned on the turbo. I got down to 6.00E-5 torr before sealing off the chamber with the valve. It initially had a leak (or outgassing) rate of 5min/micron. I consider this to be decent, as only the viewport and 6" flanges were copper gaskets that were properly torqued. The others were viton and just hand estimated.

-Luke Harrill
Attachments
20190124_152006.jpg
Richard Hull

Re: Silver Solder for HV Insulator

Post by Richard Hull »

It sounds like you've got a nice seal there on the base...Now onto the grid stalk and a final test. You are doing it all correctly. Baby steps all along the way allow you to verify good vacuum sealing at each step.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “New User Chat Area”