Help getting Started - Best beginner setu

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Chad S

Help getting Started - Best beginner setu

Post by Chad S »

My son and I are wanting to build a fusor. I have 20 years experience programming computers but no experience with Vacuums, High Voltage, Shielding, Etc. My question is what is the best of each of the major parts that we will need to get started. Specifically whats the best parts to get for a father son project when the father son are both beginners. I'd like to shoot for under 5K total if I can. I plan to eBay, auction, dumpster dive for a lot of starter pieces. But can invest money where it's best spent. We would like to start with a working demo and build up from there. But I have no idea what type or manufacturer of Vacuum and Power Supply to get. Do we need a DC PS or AC? I read an article here about prefab T pipes which might be a good idea for a demo fusor. Really just wanting to start by getting an idea of what the project will cost but also start to get to know different brands and manufacturers for when I'm out and about treasure hunting.

Thanks,
Chad and Gage.
Dennis P Brown

Re: Help getting Started - Best beginner setu

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Most of the questions you have can be found in the FAQ's provided for the various forums here. Reading up on these is your best starting place. Any and all fusor projects start with a vacuum system. Buying the correct components to start will save you money, time and help prevent frustration. After getting up to speed on the basics, ask specific questions and people here can and will help you.

Return to “New User Chat Area”