Fusion Results Data Collection

Announcements and items of immediate importance.

Fusion Results Data Collection

Postby Garrett Young » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:05 pm

I'm interested in collecting data from individuals who have accomplished fusion and are in the neutron club. I have created a simple form using Google docs which will automatically compile the data into a spreadsheet that I will publish for everyone to see. We can track our collective results at given voltages, currents, and pressures. Please take a moment to complete the form and submit as many or few fusion runs as you would like.

Form:
https://goo.gl/forms/rw6Wm6EMPKzn2fsz1

Results:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
- Garrett
Garrett Young

Re: Fusion Results Data Collection

Postby Richard Hull » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:38 am

Question: The data you ask for is interesting, but is this for one's first claim of fusion data or, as for many of us, the best single run ever achieved.

If the former, the data will be of some of the poorest possible performance levels. If of the latter then operational experience and expertise will be more on display than average expected run levels. A large scatter in the data will be observed if both are logged. We have also noted that smaller fusors benefit from higher pressures than larger systems.

Finally, many who have done fusion and "run away" have often had poor or limited instrumentation at first fusion. This means that some data may be best guess or based on instrumentation of suspect calibration. I imagine that many are now gone of that ilk and you might only be able to solicit data from (1) those that are old hands and are still around on this site and (2) wind up with operational superlatives literally unobainable for first pass fusioneers.

We have seen very dirty, ill assembled and less than average systems do fusion. My own first fusion is now an embarrassment to me, as were my first two years at doing fusion with no secondary pump in hand. (Of course, in those first two years on "songs" and the "intranet" I was a virtual sole fusioneer, feeling my way along with not much to compare with other fusioneers.)

I believe we already have a listing of superlative run data, (Sesselmann's listing), and its reduction related to COP maintained in the bowels of the fusor.net.

I guess I am inquiring as to the long term goal here and if a willingness to expand on the details included, such as chamber type and size, type of pumping system, etc. might offer more insight into some sort of assistance to those designing a system. Also, a bit of data on what sort of instrumentation was on hand when the reported data was taken.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.
Richard Hull
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Young » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:34 pm

I'm asking for an ongoing submission of data that includes as many runs as a user wishes to submit (not just best). Ideally submissions would include neutron data from calibrated detection equipment or Bubble Dosimeters.

I will add fields for chamber diameter and cathode diameter. I'm open to adding any field the community thinks is useful. Ultimately, I'm hoping that a central repository of fusion runs in a database that is searchable and can be analyzed will support the intuitions of experienced users but also provide new insights.
- Garrett
Garrett Young

Postby Garrett Young » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:43 pm

Thank you to those who have submitted runs.

If you haven't submitted data, please consider doing so.
- Garrett
Garrett Young

Postby Garrett Young » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:08 pm

I would love some more >40kV run data ... Steven, Jon, Carl, Bob, anyone?
- Garrett
Garrett Young

Postby Jon Rosenstiel » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:01 am

I just unleashed a whole slew of fusor runs on Garrett's spreadsheet. 40 thru 80 kV in 10 kV increments with 10, 15, and 20 mA grid current at each increment.

Don't know why, but my fusor really fell flat at 80 kV, 10 mA.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun putting the ol' fusor (first neutrons in 2002) through its paces. I hadn't had her above 60 kV for a few years, was nice to see she could still take it.

Jon Rosenstiel
Jon Rosenstiel

Postby Garrett Young » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:10 am

Wow!

Thank you very much Jon!
- Garrett
Garrett Young

Postby Steven Sesselmann » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:12 am

Garrett,

I like the convenience of your spreadsheet, it's certainly a lot easier than my list which I have to update manually. Frankly I don't think Google's shared spreadsheets even existed when I started my list.

I shall put a link to your spreadsheet in my post, and maybe we can transfer some of the runs from my list to your spreadsheet.

What do you think about adding a column for a link to a post about the fusor used?

Steven

PS: My rig is finally coughing up a few neutrons, so I hope to have some data to contribute soon.
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
Steven Sesselmann

Postby Garrett Young » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:45 am

Steven,

Good suggestion. Request for link to post describing device added.

All who have submitted,

I started to add links to posts for the previous submissions, but if you want a specific post referenced please reply or PM me. Thanks!
- Garrett
Garrett Young

Postby Richard Hull » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:35 pm

I see Jon has been busy lately at 15 million n/s, that is a record that won't be touched for a while. He has the volts and amps to do it, too. I am sure he has superlative X-ray protection, because at 80kv the x-rays are a big concern and the neutrons are starting to become an issue, as well. One minute runs at that level are wise. If Jon reads this, he might elaborate on how hard he was pushing his system at 15 mega neuts.

I have a variable 0 to -80 kv, 50ma, DC linear supply on hand just outside the lab under cover. It is a 750lb oil filled beast from a large 1970's XRF machine I dismantled from a local college. I haven't had the temerity to winch the bastard up out of the loam and move it into the lab to the fusor, just like I have now had a lovely little pfeiffer turbo, cables and controller since I bought it at the HEAS 2016 flea market and haven't installed it, either.

Two reasons...........Overcoming the inertial rest mass of the big supply is a limiting factor and the old adage applied to fusor IV of, "If it ain't broke don't fix it".
To move on the complete effort of revamping fusor IV for the sake of neutron numbers, added rad hazards, etc., seems a bit silly. Maybe I'll try and put in the little pfeiffer puffer.

Anyone want to buy the ultimate fusor supply? Bring a crew, jacking rig and a truck to HEAS 2017. (the supply does have large chain hoist "eye" hooks attached.)

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.
Richard Hull
Site Admin

Return to Announcements and Site Administration Topics