Midwest Fusor Conference

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Garrett Young

Midwest Fusor Conference

Post by Garrett Young » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:08 am

Is there any interest in a fusor meeting/conference/swap held in the midwest? Depending on who's interested this could be held in Des Moines, Minneapolis, Chicago, Kansas City, etc. The idea is a 1-2 day event where we exchange ideas, present results, sell surplus, etc.
- Garrett

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Re: Midwest Fusor Conference

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:04 am

Cool idea! I hope it can happen. It sounds like a rather big deal, as many cities are included in the possibilities. Are you thinking formal convention type deal with hotel reservations, meeting hall, meals etc? If so, that would be a massive and expensive undertaking. You would need hundreds of attendees to break even.

You might consider an HEAS-like gathering held at some mover and shaker, spark plug type fusor guy's farm, business or home in one of those cities. Even then, about 20 folks might be desirable as minimum attendance. However,......... Jon Rosenstiel had a single west coast fusor gathering at his home a number of years back. Even though he had only 3-5 folks attend, in was very cozy and very one-on-one. They had a blast.

I have about 50 attend HEAS/TCBOR event each year since 1989. Since 2003, about a quarter of those attending are fusor folks.

Again, all the best

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Andrew Seltzman

Post by Andrew Seltzman » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:12 am

I'd be interested if I'm still around the midwest.

A few things to consider:
A makerspace may be willing to host for free.
The APS-DPP(annual plasma physics) conference in in Milwaukee, Wisconsin October 23 through October 27th this year, most of the plasma physicists in the country will be there.
https://www.aps.org/units/dpp/meetings/annual/
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org

Garrett Young

Post by Garrett Young » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:52 pm

I was thinking along the lines of HEAS, but held at a business on the weekend. If there is enough interest 10+ people I'll make the arrangements.
- Garrett

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:20 pm

That is a very smart way to go at it. Watch out! It could be habit forming or become an area tradition.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Mike Beauford

Post by Mike Beauford » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:42 am

I'd go if it was held in Chicago or very near it.
Mike Beauford