Unconfirmed Record Neutron Production

Announcements and items of immediate importance.

Unconfirmed Record Neutron Production

Postby Frank Sanns » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:57 pm

Yesterday at a technical meeting, a retired physics professor asked me about a fusor(?) up in the San Fransisco Bay area. He was aware of an amateur fusion reactor that was around a foot in diameter and of all metal construction and run at a substantial vacuum. It sure sounded like a fusor to me. What peaked my ears was the fact that this device was putting out 10E9 to 10E11 neutrons per second.

I find this hard to imagine as the amateur record of the top handful of people on fusor.net is only 10E6 n/sec. Three to five orders of magnitude more is a big number. At those levels, you would not want to be manning the controls very long and metal items would begin to activated.

A few questions: Do we know who this person is? A member here? Hitting record neutron outputs? Making claims that are not true? Discovered something?
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Re: Unconfirmed Record Neutron Production

Postby Andrew Seltzman » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:02 pm

Could be Adelphi Tech, not an amatuer, but manufacturer of fusor style DD and DT neutron generators in California with yields in the 1E10 range
http://www.adelphitech.com/products/dt109-dt110.html
Andrew Seltzman

Postby Richard Hull » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:20 pm

Sure! I looked at the website and it is beam on target and the DD systems claim up to 10e8n/s, but that would be easy at 120kv max voltage they claim.

We are never over 50kv and usually much below. So, our 10e6 is about right. I think Jon might have logged over 6 X10e6....Tickling that 10e7 goal.

Richard Hul
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.
Richard Hull
Site Admin

Postby Jon Rosenstiel » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:11 am

Richard, check out Garrett's spreadsheet, I just finished posting a bunch of runs... even managed to break my old record.

Jon Rosenstiel
Jon Rosenstiel

Postby Steven Sesselmann » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:26 am

Frank,

Doug Coulter is claiming big numbers but he is being a bit secretive about it and falls short of giving the TIER, says its too dangerous to be in the room with his fusor, so now he is doing the remote control thing. Not much activity on his forum, but he uploads youtube videos from time to time. He operates a big chamber with a dual grid.

Steven
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
Steven Sesselmann

Postby Frank Sanns » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:14 am

The two things that struck me were the high neutron numbers and in a residence. Most likely, somebody has a DT beam on target generator as Richard has pointed out. That would be the smallest and highest output. The person probably works in the drilling or other industrial area that uses licensed neutron generators. We will see if anybody else posts anything different from that area. I just wanted to be sure we did not have another person from the group working on it that has gone unnoticed here.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Postby Richard Hull » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:06 pm

As it has been several months since Frank's original post and query, I guess we can assume there is no simple fusor doing the huge numbers claimed. Jon and Garrett hols the two big claims record in the amateur effort, so far as we know. I also assume the pro's would never work on a simple fusor concept. Real neutron generators are easier to do with D-T beam on target, but you have to get that NRC license.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.
Richard Hull
Site Admin

Return to Announcements and Site Administration Topics