The Hull prize!

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Carl Willis

Re: The Hull prize!

Post by Carl Willis » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:26 pm

I will gladly fund the full amount of the "Hull-Willis Prize", and increase it to a whopping $500. (Oh my god!)

Nine years ago, I pointed out the obvious, that a few hundred dollars won't go far toward subsidizing the effort needed to win the prize. Today, that's truer than ever. My philosophy about the prize remains that, at only $500, the monies are less of a real inducement to work on amateur Polywells and more of a "put up or shut up" gesture directed at the extant Polywell sycophancy that, all these years later, still seems more committed to uninformed blathering than experiential learning about this idea.

The prize is not for p-B11 fusion. It is for building a demonstrably-working amateur polyhedral magnetic-trap fusion device following the physics and practice of the EMC2 "Polywell". Will I award the prize for a demonstration of p-B11 fusion in such a Polywell device? Sure, but note that the original terms of the prize call for much-simpler, easier-to-detect DD fusion. You would be smart to start with DD anyway, and then use my prize money (plus a minor supporting grant of $10k-100k) to develop and demonstrate a scheme for putting boron in the device and measuring fusion product rates.

I expect a winner will be announced any time now...

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:47 am

Thanks Carl for bellying up to the bar to keep this prize alive and expanding its value to would-be winners. As you note, the wind still blows over the decks, but not high enough to fill any sails of transport. I never expected the issue to go away or a winner to step up and am, therefore, vindicated during my 8 year tenure within the prize offering. I am sure your $500.00 is as safe as if in a vault with a 24 hour a day armed guard on duty.

Again thanks for keeping what has now become the "Willis Prize" alive.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Jason C Wells

Post by Jason C Wells » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:27 pm

I did finally work my way back to the beginning of this thread. I'm not working on a polywell. But I am determined to produce those alphas. And of course I will share my results here.

Regards,
Jason

Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:53 am

As I recall, Mark Suppes built a Polywell, and was able to detect electron trapping with a Langmuir probe, but to my knowledge never demonstrated any fusion, even D-D fusion, with a Polywell.
Last edited by Bob Reite on Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:56 pm

Mark's effort/project was a more or less commercial venture with lots of capital being invested/donated, a business name, etc. As I remember it, his stay on the forums was incredibly brief. All of this might have had to do with a non-dislosure demanded by the investors.

Remember, this is or was a prize for "lone wolf" boastful amateur efforts, only, as I described it originally. In the original post #1, on line #1, I emboldend the word "AMATEUR". In the last sentence, I re-iterated it was for amateurs. On the first page in this now 6 page long thread, the basics were hashed out, Carl came on board with his offer of another $200.00 making it the Hull-Willis prize.

Mark Suppes sought out, was given, and spent tens of thousands of other folks money with the thought of commercialization. Hardly an amateur goal, though in hindsight, it was, in execution, an amateur effort. Were his investors happy as a result?

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:27 am

Well here I am in late 2017. Carl still has his money and almost nothing is heard of P+B11 fusion or of the polywell, either in amateur hands or professional hands, though the feeling that the "skunk works" is working on a polywell-like device with millions set aside for the effort. Of course, millions were spent on the Bussard effort and its continuation following his passing, by the ONR (Office of Navel Research). That original effort is as dead as Doc Bussard.

ITER is still in the construction process, often called the "mid-cycle doldrums", so common in such massive multi-Billion dollar debacles. The first billions are gone with the construction of job number one.........A giant complex edifice to house and pay for all the small offices and cubicles filled with clerical worker bees and the highest of the high, big salaried, fusion experts.

Currently, comes the actual housing structure for the ITER device and yet more hands-on construction and technician worker bees with occasional visits from the giant office complex by the fusion experts to oversee operations. Can one imagine the size of the contracts let and the on-site salary base for the past years with still no real fusion done??

Wow........As usual, "we are humming right along", they tell us.

The Willis Prize languishes as ITER forges ever onward and upward. Those who boosted alternatives here should be ashamed of themselves. ITER is designed to overtake and shatter their dreams of P-B11 and polywell systems.

The upside from all of this is that "Real soon now" is a dead duck. We will never here this again from the fusion crowd that has on their big boy pants. They can milk this giant cow for a long, long time to come.

Richard Hull