Finished PhD, now a postdoc at MIT

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Andrew Seltzman

Finished PhD, now a postdoc at MIT

Post by Andrew Seltzman » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:53 am

For those of you who don't follow me on facebook, I finished my PhD in plasma physics last year where I demonstrated the first observation of RF heating in the reversed field pinch:
My thesis:
http://plasma.physics.wisc.edu/uploaded ... 2_2017.pdf
A power point of a conference talk on EBW heating in the RFP:
http://plasma.physics.wisc.edu/uploaded ... an1218.pdf

I have been working as a postdoc at MIT in the plasma science and fusion center since the spring, designing a high field side lower hybrid current drive launcher system for tokamaks, a method that should improve non-inductive current drive efficiency, and allow current profile control nearer to the core. I'm mainly working on the RF design for the launcher system that will be installed on DIII-D in the spring of 2020. I am currently living in Cambridge, MA, but will likely mode to San Diego, CA in about a year to install the system.

Here's me inside DIII-D inspecting the tokamak.
tokamak.jpg
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org

John Futter

Re: Finished PhD, now a postdoc at MIT

Post by John Futter » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:48 am

Well done Andrew

hope the future brings many neuts

Harald_Consul

Post by Harald_Consul » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:35 pm

Congratulations to your PhD! Maybe I am trying to read your thesis, if it is not mathemtically too sophisticated for me. I am only an applied statictician.

A little joke regarding your photo: I really didn't know, that physicists are willing to do so much arduous research work only to wear such advantageous suit. (I hope find it funny, too.)

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:17 pm

Congratulations, Andrew.
Not only a PhD, but you have a job! In your field!
Good luck.
-Rich
Richard Feldman

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:08 am

Really glad to hear you now have your doctorate. Your work should prove rewarding to you personally and financially.
All the very best in your endeavors.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

ReneeDegutis

Post by ReneeDegutis » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:44 am

Andrew Seltzman wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:53 am
For those of you who don't follow me on facebook, I finished my PhD in plasma physics last year where I demonstrated the first observation of RF heating in the reversed field pinch:
My thesis:
http://plasma.physics.wisc.edu/uploadedfiles/theses/thesisSeltzman132_2017.pdf
A power point of a conference talk on EBW heating in the RFP:
http://plasma.physics.wisc.edu/uploaded ... an1218.pdf

I have been working as a postdoc at MIT in the plasma science and fusion center since the spring, designing a high field side lower hybrid current drive launcher system for tokamaks, a method that should improve non-inductive current drive efficiency, and allow current profile control nearer to the core. I'm mainly working on the RF design for the launcher system that will be installed on DIII-D in the spring of 2020. I am currently living in Cambridge, MA, but will likely mode to San Diego, CA in about a year to install the system.

Dear Andrew,

Congratulations on your achievements! I'm interested in reading the thesis. Good luck with your further professional growth.

Best regards,
Renee Degutis

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:56 pm

Please do not re-Quote any text from any previous post in any single, flowing, thread. People here are smart enough to have read the preceding postings in any single thread. We do not do it in these forums to keep the useless re-quoting of already presented text in any single thread to an absolute zero level.

This includes all single thread postings no matter how old or last commented on.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:59 pm

Fantastic work and like others here, congratulations Mr. Seltzman, Ph.D.! I know a bit of just how hard and difficult that path must have been! Guess it's on to General Atomics(?) Best of luck no matter. I know how limited funding has become and the challenges in that field. So, all the best in your career and future!

Bruce Meagher

Post by Bruce Meagher » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:21 am

Congratulations Dr. Seltzman! If you come to San Diego contact me if you’re interested in joining several of us fusor members for one of our meetups.